Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can we reset a used iPad Mini without the original Apple ID?

Three weeks ago my grandpa bought an iPad Mini from an ad on Craigslist, and the original owner did not deactivate "find my iPad" or reset it to factory settings and remove her Apple ID first. He has tried contacting her for assistance but has not received any response in all this time. We've followed directions for how to do a manual reset of the iPad, but it always states that it's locked to the original Apple ID and requires a password.

Is there anyway he can unlock the iPad from that original Apple ID and use his own? The iPad does operate fine, but without his own Apple ID he cannot download apps or sync it with his other devices.

iPad 2

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 8:16 PM

2 replies

Oct 12, 2014 8:21 PM in response to Zanna1990

If you are trying to activate an iOS device and it is asking you for a previous owners Apple ID and password you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature to prevent the activation of lost or stolen iOS devices. You must enter the previous owner's Apple ID and password or contact the previous owner and ask them to erase the device and remove it from their Find My iPhone. If you purchased this device used, return it and ask them to clear the device or request a refund. Without the original owner's Apple ID and password you will never be able to use the device and no one here can help you activate it.

Oct 12, 2014 10:30 PM in response to Ralph9430

We've been trying to contact the seller for weeks. There's no way to return it to the seller when she won't respond to a single email. I don't know if she deliberately duped us or what. Surely we are not the only ones in this situation. It's shocking Apple doesn't have an override in place to protect buyers in cases similar to ours.

You are incorrect that we cannot use the iPad. It has operated perfectly except for not being able to add any new apps due to not being able to enter in his Apple ID.

Thanks anyway for the reply.

How can we reset a used iPad Mini without the original Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.