Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore "shake to delete " on my iPhone 6?

There is a passing reference to shaking in the on line help file, but once you go to the Accessbility section, the path disappear.

iPhone 6, iOS 8, There is a passing reference to "s,

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 6:31 PM

12 replies

Oct 12, 2014 7:57 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I've tried that, shaking until my wrist is sore, but there's no response from the phone. For what it's worth, it was enabled on my iPhone 5, and I used it all of the time.

It's not enabled on my wife's iPhone 6, either.

There definitely is a reference to turning it on through the Accessibility menu, but once there I can't make heads or tails out of the options afforded. You get a funny square "palette" style menu, with four choices (including shake), but once you select it, there's no way to make Undo the action.

Oct 12, 2014 8:10 PM in response to sensha9999

In the Settings menu, go to the Accessibility topic, then scroll down to Assistive Touch. Turn on Assistive Touch, then select Create New Gesture. Then, tap the "floating circle in a box" that appears. You get a square floating palette with six options. Select Device, then select the ellipsis (…) that is in the lower right corner of the square palette.. You then have the option Shake displayed on the left side of the palette.

Selecting Shake doesn't seem to do anything - you are returned to the Tap or Swipe message, with nothing to save following your selection of Shake.

I'd send a set of screen shots, but I don't know how to do it with the iPhone. One new experience at a time...

Oct 12, 2014 8:32 PM in response to sensha9999

That setting is just what it says. This gives you the option to create new assistive touch gestures. You would create something to open an app or something to that effect. That is not where you activate the shake to erase. I believe since they have connected the shake to many other functions in the new iOS, it is not able to be used except for a short time after doing what you want to erase. In other words, you have to use it quickly. Check out the User Guide in your bookmarks for Safari to read about the features of the phone.

Oct 13, 2014 7:40 AM in response to sensha9999

I just tested mine again. It did not seem to work when I shook the phone from side to side. When I shook it in front of me, like away and close to me, then it worked, and continued to work no matter how I shook it. Don't know if it was an error, but it is working now. Try shaking the device differently. I know that sounds strange, but it seemed that it was about the way I shook the device that seemed to make mine work. I do know that it seems to require a harder shake to get it to work.

Oct 13, 2014 9:04 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I frequently used "Shake to Pay" in the Starbucks app and that suddenly quit working. I thought maybe they had done an update to the app so I tried shake to delete (which I never used) in another app and that wouldn't work either. I speculated that maybe a sensor in my 5s was malfunctioning. Then I noticed that Steps in the Health app works and it seems likely that would use the same sensor so I was really curious what was going on. Then I saw your post and tried a substantially harder shake - - and it works.

Oct 13, 2014 11:42 AM in response to FoxFifth

I was afraid I was going to drop or throw my phone as hard as I ended up having to shake, but got it to work. It used to be so sensitive in the past that if I wasn't careful in locking my phone before I put it in my pocket, I would get that error on the screen by just tilting it over and placing it in my pocket. Takes quite a bit more than that now.

How do I restore "shake to delete " on my iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.