Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uverse and Time Capsule

I believe this is a question that primarily relates to how to properly configure my ATT Uverse modem/router.

I have an ATT Uverse modem as the primary internet connection. I also have the most current version of Apple's time capsule (upright model). Both are working fine together, but the Time capsule is not "extending" my wifi in the area of the house where I have it installed. I thought that by hooking up a time capsule in bridge mode, I would be able to generate a greater signal in my office, which is far away from the Uverse modem/router.

Does anyone know what settings in the ATT Uverse page I need to change to enhance the wifi connection in the office using Time Capsule? Is this even possible? I have read about putting ATT Uverse in bridge mode, and making the Time Capsule the primary base station - but will the ATT Uverse still act to extend wifi in the area where it is installed? I need both devices to extend wifi to their respective areas, and may ultimately need an Airport Express in a third area, so the configuration that would best accomodate all 3 wifi access points would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, iOS 8, Compatibility with ATT Uverse

Posted on Oct 12, 2014 8:35 PM

36 replies

Jun 9, 2017 5:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

Sorry for reviving a 3 year old thread but after 3 days of messing with my Pace 5268AC and Time Capsule and Airport Express I FINALLY got it working with the Pace broadcasting upstairs and the Time Capsule broadcasting downstairs so thank YOU for that, however, I CANNOT get the Airport Express to extend off of the time capsule, as soon as I plug it in I lose internet, the Pace goes offline, utility shows Time Capsule and Express as green but Orange on the internet. As soon as I unplug and restart the Pace, everything is back to normal. I tried a hard reset on the express and it picked up the network that the TC is broadcasting and said it was setting it up to extend that network over Ethernet which is what I wanted and it said setup complete, I unplugged and moved it to time capsule and plugged it back in and everything went down again.....

I have Pace 5268AC upstairs 2.4GHz channel set to 6, everything upstairs connected to Pace, working great.

Time Capsule downstairs hard wired to Pace creating a wireless network (different from that of Pace) with 2.4GHz channel set to 11 and using DHCP and on Bridge Mode......everything downstairs connected to TC, working great.

I try to plug the Express WAN into LAN of TC and I have it set to extend and in bridge mode as well and as I said earlier, utility shows both green but no internet and even the wifi from Pace shuts down too......

Any ideas??

Jun 9, 2017 6:07 PM in response to bwright2112

Express WAN into LAN of TC and I have it set to extend

IF you have wireless on the Express set to extend and have plugged in ethernet you will collapse the network.

You must have wireless on the express set to create a wireless network.. it will most likely work fine in roaming network where you will use identical wireless name to the TC.

If that is already the case and you have simply made a typo..

Please post me screenshots of the express setup.. and I can work from there.

You can work with alternative setup using the TC in static IP mode which might work a bit better.

Jun 9, 2017 8:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

Wow......for 2 of the 3 days the Express has been my problem and I have just kept trying different things, reading different articles, and all it was was 1 simple setting.

I just assumed since I was extending the network that is what I should do.

So now I have Pace broadcasting 2.4 (on channel 6), 2.4 Guest and 5 upstairs

Time capsule broadcasting 2.4 (on channel 11), 2.4 Guest and 5 downstairs

And 1 Express (with 2.4 on channel 1) coming from LAN of Time Capsule going to opposite corner of the basement. I will now buy another Express to hardwire from Time Capsule to our bedroom which just catches the edge of the 5GHz network upstairs.

I should have researched the Apple forums first.....I tried about 10 different things from the AT&T forums that people supposedly got to work.....I can't imagine my equipment being the reason those things didn't work.....

Seriously, thank you so much!!

Oct 12, 2014 10:41 PM in response to hmnetwork

I am not exactly sure how you have it setup now.. but Apple routers cannot extend wireless from a non-apple router.

The only useful way to do it, is to plug the airport or TC into the Uverse by ethernet and run it in bridge mode. YOU MUST create a wireless network. It is up to you if you use the same name and same security as the uverse thus making a roaming network, or different SSID so you have two different wireless networks.

You can then add an express to extend wireless.

If the distance between the TC and the uverse is great,, the best way is still to do proper ethernet in the wall but EOP adapters can sometimes fill in.

Wireless repeater (same as extend wireless) is a very poor way to do networking... it slows things down by huge amounts.

Always try and use cable connections but you can use wireless as access points for wireless devices.. as long as it is never extended.

Oct 13, 2014 7:17 AM in response to hmnetwork

I thought that by hooking up a time capsule in bridge mode, I would be able to generate a greater signal in my office, which is far away from the Uverse modem/router.

The Time Capsule cannot do this if it connects to the Uverse modem/router using a wireless connection, if this what you are trying to do.

Can you clarify on that, please?

Oct 13, 2014 7:45 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your response. Ok, so the ATT modem/router is in the basement and receives the signal from the phone jack in the wall. The ATT modem/router outputs the signal from an ethernet port that plugs into the basement wall jack. Through the wall jack, this signal is carried to a Netgear switch, which relays to other wall jacks in the house.

One such jack is in the office, 2 stories up. From that wall jack, I have an ethernet cable running to the input of the Time Capsule (and I am currently using one output port of the Time Capsule to connect directly to an HP wireless printer). (The wireless printing is working/Time Capsule is up and running and able to do backups on any device in my house, it's just the extending of the network that's not happening right now).

What I was hoping for was to also boost the wireless signal in the office (via the time capsule). And later boost the signal in a third location using the Airpot Express.

As it is currently set up, I believe the "primary" router is the ATT Uverse and the bridge mode router is the Time Capsule (but that the wireless is not really working - not really being extended).

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like I need to make the Time Capsule the "primary" router, and to run the Uverse off of it in bridge mode (but I don't know how to configure the Uverse in this manner). It sounds like, only if the Time Capsule is the primary router, then could I extend the network in the basement (using Uverse) and extend the network in a 3rd remote location (using airport express) - the point being that the primary router needs to be an apple product, I think.

My analysis is probably wrong, but in either case, how can I accomplish this? Both Time Capsule and Uverse are hard wired to the NetGear switch in the basement (through wall jacks).

Thanks for your patience, and if my description above does not answer your questions, please let me know and I'll try to further clarify.

Oct 13, 2014 2:48 PM in response to hmnetwork

As it is currently set up, I believe the "primary" router is the ATT Uverse and the bridge mode router is the Time Capsule (but that the wireless is not really working - not really being extended).

This is fine.. and ideal network setup..

Thanks for the full description.. I would keep it just like this.

You are not extending wireless and you don't want to... you are using wireless in a method called roaming.

The TC is plugged into ethernet and setup in bridge.. you create a wireless network on the TC.

It is simple to setup and is probably how you already have it setup.

Wireless name in the TC = SSID in the Uverse.

Wireless security in the TC = Wireless security in Uverse.. basically both should be wpa2 personal but it can be called tkip-aes.

Wireless password same in both.

The only thing different is the wireless channels.. I prefer to set them manually but Bob is more convinced of the aptitude of the apple routers to self allocate.. whatever you do, just see how well it works.. and as long as the distance is great enough and the signal coverage from the other is poor it won't actually matter that much.

With this setup you can then extend using the express .. that is also fine although channels will then become more important.. leave everything on auto and see how it goes.. if you run into issues then post again and we can give you some hints to fix it .. or at least alleviate issues.. wireless being what it is always has a mixture of voodoo, black magic and gremlins in it.

Oct 13, 2014 3:12 PM in response to hmnetwork

LaPastenague has nailed it for you.

The only thing that you might need at this point is an actual "how to" as far as setting this up.

Since you mention iOS8 in your original post, this hints that you might have an iPhone or iPad that could be used to setup the Time Capsule as you wish.

The utility assumes that you will be starting from "scratch" using factory default settings on the Time Capsule, and that being the case, the utility will suggest the correct setup.......create a wireless network.....and automatically configure the Time Capsule in the correct Bridge Mode setting to work correctly with the Uverse router.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the wall jack to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

On an iPad or iPhone home screen.......

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for the setting to Set Up a New AirPort Base Station

Tap on Time Capsule

The utility will suggest the correct setup for you

For wireless network name......that would be the exact same name that the Uverse wireless network is using

For password.......that would be the same wireless network password that the Uverse is using

For Base Station......type in a device name that you want to use for the Time Capsule. Example......mine is TC. Keep the name short, with no blank spaces and no special characters like an asterisk, dollar sign, etc.

Tap Next

The utility will configure everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, tap Done. That's it.

Macs will usually automatically switch to pick up the best signal from the closest device providing the wireless signal as the location of the laptop changes.

iOS devices like the iPhone and iPad will not usually do this, since they use much simpler operating systems.

If you move the iPad or iPhone from one area near one wireless access point to another area nearer another wireless access point, you should tap Settings, then tap WiFi and Turn Off WiFi. Wait a few seconds, then turn the WiFi back On, and the iOS device will usually now pick up the signal from the closest wireless access point.

Oct 13, 2014 3:27 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you both very much for your help. I will try this out as soon as I get home from work tonight. Based on Bob's last post, it sounds like an initial error I made was to setup the TC as "connect to an existing network" or something along those lines, rather than selecting "create a wireless network."

From my limited perspective, I thought I was trying to create 2 access points to the "same" wireless network, but sounds like I'm actually creating 2 wireless networks (that manually or automatically) operate on separate channels? Well, doesn't matter what it sounds like to me, but I will change the TC configuration to be "create a wireless network" and go from there.

Bob, I do have ipads/iphones but plan to control the Airport Utility settings from a macbook pro. I assume that doesn't change much. Thank you again, I will be sure to follow up with the results.

Oct 14, 2014 1:49 PM in response to hmnetwork

I did the same thing you just did about 6 months ago (created a new wireless network upstairs off the TC) and I would be interested to hear back from you if you are seeing slow internet speeds in the evening coming from the TC. Usually around 10pm my TC speed drops to like 1-2 meg but when I switch to my Uverse internet I'm getting 18 meg during that time when the TC is running slow. I haven't figured out whats causing that slow down at that time of the night when I'm connected to the TC. I have noticed its hit and miss at other times to but the speed is fine coming strictly from Uverse.

guess next time it happens i will check my MAC to see if maybe its doing a time machine back up at that point.......I wouldn't think it would make it slow down that much.

Jan 31, 2015 2:13 PM in response to hmnetwork

ALL:

I need help. I have a Time Capsule that I have connected to a ATT router. I also have a base station in the living room.

The only way I can get it to connect is:

Base Station: AirPort Time Capsule

Internet is set DHCP

Wireless is :XXX's Wi-Fi and XXX Wi-Fi 5GHz

Network Security is WPA2

Router Mode is: DHCP and NAT

But when I try to wirelessly connect my PS4 or my PSVita it will not stay connected.

I know there has to be a better connection? Help please!

Jan 31, 2015 10:42 PM in response to Willyumbeach

I have a Time Capsule that I have connected to a ATT router. I also have a base station in the living room.

Do you mean you have two Time Capsules.. so you have a second one in living room??

Or simply telling us the Time Capsule (TC) is located in the living room?

What model is the TC? What firmware is it running.. ?

It has to be plugged into the ATT router by ethernet to its WAN port.. is it??

It has to be in bridge mode.. it is not.. you have set it up as router. This is wrong. And it won't work or work properly.

It has to create a wireless network.

Keep all names very short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

If it still fails give us what ATT modem router you have?? How is the TC connected?

And some screenshots of how you attempted to set it up.

Also be aware.. xbox, ps4, anything except apple made computers and devices are expecting upnp to work.. When you try to use Apple routers they don't work. Apple decided to ensure nothing apple clients can work by using their own version called NAT-PMP.. this is a very big problem that means you need to manually port forward to go online with many game consoles to play games. It is far easier to buy a standard PC type router.. and then use the apple router plugged in and bridged.

However as long as you are using a cable modem router, and the apple router in bridge this is not a problem.. the routing and upnp is handled by the Uverse.. it is for when you use a pure cable modem that it will fail.

Jan 31, 2015 11:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

The TC is in the office with the ATT router - the TC is plugged into the ATT router via an ethernet cable - the base station is in the livingroom to extend the TC WiFi. it is

AirPort Time Capsule - 3TB

What model is the TC? What firmware is it running.. ? 7.7.3 on the TC and 7.6.4 on the basestation in the living room.

It has to be plugged into the ATT router by ethernet to its WAN port.. is it?? Yes ATT Router #1 to TC internet port.

It has to be in bridge mode.. it is not.. you have set it up as router. This is wrong. And it won't work or work properly. It works fine for Wifi and 5G.

It has to create a wireless network. I have created a wireless network: XXX's Wi-Fi and XXX's Wi-Fi 5GHz

Keep all names very short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

If it still fails give us what ATT modem router you have?? How is the TC connected? Same as above.

And some screenshots of how you attempted to set it up.

Also be aware.. xbox, ps4, anything except apple made computers and devices are expecting upnp to work.. When you try to use Apple routers they don't work. Apple decided to ensure nothing apple clients can work by using their own version called NAT-PMP.. this is a very big problem that means you need to manually port forward to go online with many game consoles to play games. It is far easier to buy a standard PC type router.. and then use the apple router plugged in and bridged.

The PS4 works - but I cannot connect the PSvita to the PS4. It says the connection is too slow.

However as long as you are using a cable modem router, and the apple router in bridge this is not a problem.. the routing and upnp is handled by the Uverse.. it is for when you use a pure cable modem that it will fail. The TC is not in bridge its in

I have it in

Internet is set DHCP

Wireless is :XXX's Wi-Fi and XXX Wi-Fi 5GHz

Network Security is WPA2

Router Mode is: DHCP and NAT

I have no idea how to add screen shots.

Jan 31, 2015 11:23 PM in response to Willyumbeach

Ok, your setup is tricky..

First setup the TC plugged into the ATT modem.. that is exactly as here.

If I am happy with my current router can I still use Time Capsule as a back up device?

The TC is in bridge mode.. it is creating a wireless network.

The base station in the living room must then be setup as extend wireless.

This will be done automatically by the airport utility.

So set it to factory and start over. It will have only power plugged in.. but it has to get a good signal from the main TC.. if not you need to move it closer.

You setup automatically and the utility will basically do the job for you.. it will pick the existing TC to extend wireless..

You do not have to select anything else.. you cannot change wireless names or anything.. it is setup purely as wireless extender.

If it fails do screenshots..

How to do screenshot on a Mac.

Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

Uverse and Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.