Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configuring Google Mail Account with Profile Manager

Hello,

I'm trying to configure Google mail accounts using Profile Manager.

We use Mavericks Server and have a Google Apps Domain.

How could I distribute the Google Mail configuration to all devices easily; not using specific configuration for email, Contacts and Calendar which just create a lot of lines in the mail configuration on iphones.

On macs, iPhones and iPad you can directly add a Google mail account with all email, contact and calendar in one step. How could we achieve the same with profile manager?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

OS X Server

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 3:22 AM

1 reply

Oct 13, 2014 5:22 PM in response to phschott

The configuration would depend on if you are just creating a profile for iOS devices, or iOS and Mac devices.

If it's just iOS devices, the solution is simple, you just need to configure an Exchange ActiveSync (iOS) only profile with the Google Apps for Business settings (Below). Simply change the user names and email address to make your full google apps email address. If you set this in a "Group" setting rather then a "User", you should be able to use profile manager variables in those fields (as in my example) to configure the email addresses. User's will be prompted for their password the first time they login. NOTE our Google Apps email address are formatted as first initial last name (i.e. John Smith's would be "jsmith") followed by @ourdomainname.com . Format yours accordingly.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Now, if you need to configure both Macs and iOS devices, you can't use the exchange service method above, as Google doesn't support exchange for non mobile devices. If this is the case, you'll need to create a payload setting for "Mail", "Contacts", and "Calendars" separately and ignore the instructions above (these can all be set in the one profile). See my settings below. NOTE our Google Apps email address are formatted as first initial last name (i.e. John Smith's would be "jsmith") followed by @ourdomainname.com . Format yours accordingly.

Mail:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Contacts

User uploaded file

Calendar:

User uploaded file

Note the server url is: https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.COM/user//www.google.com/calendar/dav/YOUREMAIL@DOMAIN.COM/user

Please see https://support.google.com/a/answer/1366863?hl=en for more information

Configuring Google Mail Account with Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.