Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No SIM Card Installed message iOS8

I have a 3rd gen iPad with LTE. After any reboot using iOS7, I would get a pop up message saying "No SIM Card Installed" and that was that. It would never show up again. After updating to iOS8, this message pops up randomly and it's getting irritating.

I've gone through every app and disabled "Use Cellular Data" but I'm still getting the message.

I don't have a SIM installed since the data plan costs have gotten out of hand and i only use Wi-Fi. What changed with iOS8 to cause this to keep popping up and how do I stop it, save for doing a complete wipe and reinstall?

Thanks,

David

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 8, ...

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 7:05 AM

17 replies

Oct 18, 2014 9:53 PM in response to dswood1970

I have an iPad Air and kept getting the No SIM Card message, very frustrating

Went to the Apple store for a dummy SIM, and even after putting it in and leaving it, it didn't work.

But I THINK I FOUND THE SOLUTION!! Haven't seen the message since I tried this

Step 1: Take your iPhone SIM that actually works and put it into your iPad

Step 2: Turn on Cellular Data on iPad, let it connect with network

Step 3: Turn off cellular data, and leave the SIM card in iPad

Step 4: Reset iPad (turn it off by holding the On/Off Sleep/Wake button

Step 5: Turn it back on

Step 6: Take SIM out, there should be the No SIM Card message just once

After this I haven't seen it pop up again (for the last few hours!!!)

Remember to like this if it works for you!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Oct 31, 2014 1:42 AM in response to Yonthing

I'm talking rubbish and thinking of the other fault I had on my iPad 2 with No Service when there was a SIM card installed (that appears to be better).

II've got round this fault in a different manner. My carrier sent me a new nano SIM for my iPhone 5, so I've put the old SIM in the iPad Mini. Cellular is turned off, and the SIM cannot connect, but it stops the annoying messages From appearing every time it tries to go online despite being connected to wifi. Why does it need to check the SIM connection if it's connected to wifi?

Nov 9, 2014 9:41 AM in response to royturv

Right after I originally posted this, I received an email from Apple asking to run a diagnostic on my iPad by clicking a link. It ran something on the iPad and sent a report, I'm assuming. But I haven't heard anything else back. It's now obvious that it's a flaw in iOS 8 itself.

I went so far as to remove the SIM from my iPhone 5S, put it in the iPad, went through EVERY app and turned Cellular data off, then turned off Cellular Data, then removed the SIM. As soon as I started using the iPad, it started popping up again. Today, while watching Sons of Anarchy on Netflix, the message popped up and stopped playback. This is beyond annoying at this point and has me contemplating buying an Android device.

Nov 9, 2014 1:01 PM in response to dswood1970

Me too, but Android probably has its own issues. I've always been happy with Apple products until ios8. The other issues with ios8 on iPad 2 & 3, like slow speed, crashing apps, unstable operation, haven't been fixed either despite many complaints on this site. I think they're only concerned with the new stuff like the iphone6, which seems very short sighted for such a big company. Too big to care??

Jan 6, 2015 8:10 AM in response to dswood1970

To add to all the comment here; I have no SIM card (because I only wanted the GPS which only comes with a SIM-capable version) and also got irritated by this message, which is much more common under iOS8.

The only fix seems to be fitting a SIM card; that is ANY SIM card, which does not need to be activated. This can be got free from a number of suppliers (seems like ripping them off but I failed to keep my old ones...). Then you can go in to settings and switch mobile data off (it is otherwise greyed out) which solves the problem. You can tell this has worked because the top left screen text changes to 'iPad' (from no network/no sim). Perhaps you can then remove the SIM but why would you?

Nothing else worked for me. It would be nice if Apple could make 'greyed out' = 'off'.

No SIM Card Installed message iOS8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.