Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows explorer no longer displays devices after ios 8 update

I recently purchased an IPhone 6 and IPhone 6 plus and noticed that they do not show up in Windows Explorer when connected to a Windows Desktop.

I recently updated 2 iPhone 5s and 2 iPhone 5, and noticed that prior to performing the IOS8 update, the devices appear in Windows Explorer as a storage device and I was able to copy all the photos from each of the device onto the Windows Desktop. After updating all of them to IOS8, none of them or the IPhone 6 show up as a storage device. Can anyone tell me if this is intentional or if this has something to do with the fact that the CAMERA ROLL was removed? I did read in other forums/news indicating that there are efforts to put CAMERAL ROLL back. In light of this, does anyone know if this will allow the devices to display in Windows Explorer again?

I don't have a major problem since I copied all the contents from the Iphone5 phones for backup prior to updating to IOS8, but kind of annoying if I have tons of photos on the phone and don't want to waste my time deleting them on the phone. I find it faster when using Windows Explorer to delete unwanted photos or add photos I want.

iOS 8, windows explorer

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2014 10:59 AM

I was having this problem too, even after updating to iOS 8.1

iPhone 6 plus was recognized by iTunes but not Windows Explorer.

Unplugged USB, unlocked phone (lock screen pin code or fingerprint) and reconnected to USB.

When prompted press Trust this computer and yippee the phone pops up in Windows. 🙂

The bit I had overlooked was unlocking the pin code on the phone.

This page helped

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2014 10:59 AM in response to jeyhun77

I was having this problem too, even after updating to iOS 8.1

iPhone 6 plus was recognized by iTunes but not Windows Explorer.

Unplugged USB, unlocked phone (lock screen pin code or fingerprint) and reconnected to USB.

When prompted press Trust this computer and yippee the phone pops up in Windows. 🙂

The bit I had overlooked was unlocking the pin code on the phone.

This page helped

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

windows explorer no longer displays devices after ios 8 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.