Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Verify Identity after iOS 8.0.2 Upgrade

I'm currently out of the country traveling for the next month and I just upgraded my iPhone 5 from iOS 7.1.2 to 8.0.2. I have two-step verification enabled on my Apple ID and I am unable to "Verify Identity" because when I select my iPhone, I don't receive the four-digit verification code on my iPhone 5. I'm also unable to verify with my phone number because I am out of the country. Thirdly, I didn't bring my Recovery Key with me and I did not bring any other iOS devices with me on this trip. Is there any way I can access my iPhone 5 before I return home next month and enter my Recovery Key?

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 9:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2014 9:33 AM in response to CireT

Hi CireT,

See if this will work for you:

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

If you lose your Recovery Key, you can replace it any time:

1. Go to My Apple ID.
  2. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in with your password and trusted device.
  3. Select Password and Security.
  4. Under Recovery Key, select Replace Lost Key.

When you create a new key, your old Recovery Key is no longer usable.

Here is the entire Support Article on 2-Step. It may have some other suggestions that you can use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5570

Best of luck,

GB

Oct 13, 2014 10:02 AM in response to gail from maine

GB,

Thank you for replying. I only have one trusted device (my iPhone 5) associated with my Apple ID, so I am unable to sign in on my trusted device because it is on the "Verify Identity" screen. When I click "Manage your Apple ID" and sign in with my password, I need to "Verify your identity" and am unable to do so because my iPhone 5 doesn't receive the verification code because it is on the "Verify Identity" screen and I am out of the country, so I am unable to receive a text to my phone number (even if I were in the country, I believe my iPhone 5 wouldn't receive the text message because it is on the "Verify Identity" screen).

Clicking "Unable to receive messages on any of your devices?" prompts me for my Recovery Key which I do not have with me.

CireT

Unable to Verify Identity after iOS 8.0.2 Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.