Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have just updated to ISO 8 and my app icons are not displaying the correct icon but just a generic icon. Anyone had a similar problem?

I have just updated to ISO 8 and my app icons are not displaying the correct icon but just a generic icon. Anyone had a similar problem?

iPad

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 9:45 AM

That happened to me for a short period of time after I updated. It didn't do it with all apps, but it did it with a few here and there. Try a few basic standard troubleshooting steps. Close all apps and reset the iPad.

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

You can also try resetting all settings. You will not lose any data, but most of the device settings will have to be entered in the settings app again. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

Hopefully it will be something simple, but don't rule out restoring the iOS software, if nothing else works, but start with this easy stuff first.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2014 9:45 AM in response to Kezza47

That happened to me for a short period of time after I updated. It didn't do it with all apps, but it did it with a few here and there. Try a few basic standard troubleshooting steps. Close all apps and reset the iPad.

In order to close apps, you have to drag the app up from the multitasking display. Double tap the home button and you will see apps lined up going left to right across the screen. Swipe to get to the app that you want to close and then swipe "up" on the app preview thumbnail to close it.

Reset the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

You can also try resetting all settings. You will not lose any data, but most of the device settings will have to be entered in the settings app again. Settings>General>Reset>Reset all Settings.

Hopefully it will be something simple, but don't rule out restoring the iOS software, if nothing else works, but start with this easy stuff first.

Oct 13, 2014 11:46 AM in response to Kezza47

This might not work for you either, but it fixed a few icons for me....and by the way, all of my icons now appear correctly as they should. It really is a bizarre bug.

Do a spotlight search and type in the name of one of the apps. When I did that, I got the generic icon but then it changed as soon as the generic icon fully loaded. Some were fixed simply by tapping on them and launching the apps.

However, you might just be better off all around if you install a clean version of the iOS using iTunes. That might fix any other odd issues that the update brought to your iPad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.