Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to delete a shared photo album on my iPhone

I created a shared photo album on my iPhone 5s in "Photos" and placed photos in it and shared the album through iCloud Photo Sharing. I then upgraded my iPhone 5s to an iPhone 6. I wiped the iPhone 5s and it is now at factory settings (like new). Now, I am unable to delete the album I shared (although I was able to delete all the photos in the album, so it is now empty). I tried to delete the shared album (named "Family") in my phone, but there is no option that will enable me to do so. I then went into my iCloud Photos folder on my Windows PC and tried to delete the shared album from there. In my PC's iCloud Photo folder, I can see the shared album folder. I "right-click" on the shared album and am presented with the option of deleting it. When I try to delete the folder I get a dialog box that says the folder was not deleted. The image below shows what I see.

User uploaded file

Now, I'm stuck. The shared album "Family" does not show in iTunes or in my iPhone's internal storage folder when I connect it to my Windows PC, so I can't delete it by syncing. Any guidance on how to delete this shared album would be most welcome.

Thanks!

iPhone 6, iOS 8, Windows 8.0 PC

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 9:17 AM

When you click on Shared Photos on your device, and you see the "list" of Shared Photo Streams, you will see an Edit button on that screen. Click it and it will then display a ➖ next to each Shared Photo Stream. Click on the ➖ to delete the photo stream you want deleted.

I had a hard time with this too. I had, I think, three empty "Test" Shared Photo Steam folders that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of....then I saw "Edit", and voila!

Cheers,

GB

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2014 9:17 AM in response to piercesl721

When you click on Shared Photos on your device, and you see the "list" of Shared Photo Streams, you will see an Edit button on that screen. Click it and it will then display a ➖ next to each Shared Photo Stream. Click on the ➖ to delete the photo stream you want deleted.

I had a hard time with this too. I had, I think, three empty "Test" Shared Photo Steam folders that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of....then I saw "Edit", and voila!

Cheers,

GB

Oct 13, 2014 9:59 AM in response to gail from maine

Gail,

I tried this. When I'm in iCloud Photo Sharing (in the Photos app) and select "Edit," I should see the delete icon next to the shared "Family" folder, but there isn't one there. I'm not given the option of selecting it for editing or deletion in the iPhone's "Photos" app. This has been very frustrating for me. It's like the folder is protected or something.

Here is what I see when I try to delete the shared album "Family" from my iPhone:

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2014 11:59 AM in response to piercesl721

Weird. The only other thing I would suggest is to go back to your Photos app on your computer, and click on your menu at the top to see if any of your menu dropdowns have the option to "Delete Photo Stream" (rather than just folder). In iPhoto on my Mac, under the Photos menu option there is a specific option to "Delete Photo Stream".

Sorry - just not sure if Windows Photo app would have a similar option.

Cheers,

GB

Oct 13, 2014 8:52 PM in response to piercesl721

One last thing you can try is to reset your device (nothing will be lost): Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the "Slide to Unlock" screen redisplays, see if you can then go in and click on that Edit button under Shared to see if the ➖ will show up next to that album....

Cheers,

GB

Nov 20, 2014 2:32 PM in response to piercesl721

Do you have 'Family Sharing' turned on in the iCloud settings on your phone? After I turned that off, I was able to delete the 'Family' folder in iCloud photo sharing. I haven't turned Family Sharing back on, so I don't know whether the Family folder is automatically created when you use that feature, but my guess is that it is - so if you want to use Family Sharing you may be stuck with the shared folder in your photo album.

Hope this helps...

I am unable to delete a shared photo album on my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.