Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed to connect to consoleX - causes scrolling to hang for 3-5 seconds

Greetings.

Occasionally when I am scrolling, the scroll bar will hang in place, and I have to wait 3-5 seconds for it to unfreeze.

The following message appears in the console when it happens:

"Failed to connect (_consoleX) outlet from (NSApplication) to (ConsoleX): missing setter or instance variable"

This problem occurs a few times a day.

The has been a problem for me since using Mavericks, as well as through the 10.10 betas. Currently I am on the 10.10 beta so I have selected that as my OS, but it doesn't matter. I have definitely experienced this issue before July 24th, 2014.

I use TeXShop and Safari frequently.

I tried searching over the internet for solutions and I haven't found a "do this and the problem will go away" anywhere.

Any advice?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), and Yosemite Beta 5

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 10:19 AM

28 replies

Oct 14, 2014 10:30 AM in response to Andrej

I started noticing that message in Console in GM2 (but I see above that it's older), still in GM3. All Console messages cease after this messages appears. I can quit Console and restart it to see more messages, but the last one is always that message. It's quite annoying when trying to debug with syslog. Odd that it hasn't been fixed in so long.

Jan 22, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Andrej

What computer is everyone using?

I'm using a summer 2012 Macbook Air, 13", 128 GB hard drive (by the way it's already been replaced twice), and I'm on 10.10.1.

The issue still happens, but I've also found that sometimes I will press a key, or click on the trackpad, and it won't click, like, it's suppose to click on the screen and do something (like select where to place a blinking cursor) and it won't register on the screen when I click on the trackpad, happens 1 time out of maybe 200, but when it does happen, I still get that same error message.

Is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

Jan 25, 2015 9:51 AM in response to Andrej

I noticed that this problem occurred again, but this time I saw, at exactly the moment that it happened:

1/25/15 12:49:01.696 PM com.apple.backupd-helper[43]: Attempt to use XPC with a MachService that has HideUntilCheckIn set. This will result in unpredictable behavior: com.apple.backupd.status.xpc

which is basically a message concerning metadata and/or Time Machine... could it be possible that these 3-second hang-ups are caused by a bug in metadata indexing? How many of you who have this bug also use Time Machine?

Jan 30, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Andrej

I too have experienced the same problem and, from your entry, have found another clue. I tried to restart syslogd:

$ launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist: Could not find specified service

while syslogd was active.

$ launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist

restarted logging.

The HideUntilCheckin also throws a different message at times but it doesn't appear to stop logging:

1/29/15 11:05:39.047 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.FileSyncAgent.PHD.isRunning) The HideUntilCheckIn property is an architectural performance issue. Please transition away from it.

I am not using Time Machine. My most recent MyHideUntilCheckin message was thrown by SystemUIServer.

Feb 15, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Andrej

A couple of posts are currently running regarding this Console error, one of which I started because I thought it was not a common occurrence and found no feedback on it in the forum. My system appears to be running fine apart from the well known software issues within Yosemite which I trust (hope) Apple are working to resolve, this error appears at the beginning of the console report when first opening console (for me anyway).

I have assumed it is a failure within Console itself to communicate, what and with what I'm not sure - but I see it even when all other programs are closed and I wake the iMac from sleep. Did not notice prior to 10.0.2 update and not sure if messing with turning off "Wake for Network Access", "Enable Power Nap", "Find My Mac" had anything to do with it (had issue iMac would wake for a few seconds every two hours) but reenabling them did not make the error go away.

So like my software issues thought I would see if others are having same and if so any idea whats behind it. Just for info my short list of issues total five to date:

1 - Mail not removing junk or deleted items on quitting.

2 - Calendar will not show "Holidays" when preference box re ticked.

3 - Quick Look for HTML documents broken.

4 - Safari crash on certain sites reporting WebKit Failure (not that common).

5 - Apple canon drivers v3.1 not enabling print direct to disc function for certain printers (work around to install Canon drivers which goes against Apple advice of install two types!)

Mar 8, 2015 4:24 PM in response to Andrej

Looks like is a frequent problem affecting a number of users. I found this error in the log. It clearly indicates that NSApplication is failing to connect to ConsoleX due to either a missing setter or an instance variable. That is an operating system problem for which apple should produce a patch. Does anyone know how to raise a patch request? I have been fighting with the alleged 'geniuses' in the apple shop, but they only know how to do some minor repairs and have no real technical knowledge. If the source code were available I would take a shot at it myself, but sadly, the osd x is not open source, so we have to rely on the unreliable company to release a patch.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2015 9:48 PM in response to paul0157

Actually the reason why your first command to unload failed is you need to sudo as syslogd is a system launched service. If you try that the service will terminate and relaunch. That said I have the problem myself (or at least VERY closely related). The problem for me is that the console dose not update at all (yes I tried clicking and unclipping the new button in the console app, I also tried deleting the console preferences plist both to no avail). relaunching the service doesn’t help (I tried), and more than rebooting would which does the same thing.

The cause- Well for me it is VERY closely correlated to my banging the up arrow scrolling against the console updating while trying to read some messages in the cole from a boot that were being rolled off the top. Yes that seem VERY strange. Only thing I can think of is SOMEHOW the file name being tracked by the console is not mapped correctly. If I click the reload button the messages are displayed, however think of it as a snapshot of the log to the point when I clicked, not a live stream as it should be.

To further diagnosis the console IS somewhat aware that an update SHOULD be displayed as I went into the console application preferences and turned on the option to bring the console window to foreground when an update occurs. The window DOES come to the foreground but not messages are added to the window. Again one only sees them WHEN you click the reload.

Hopefully this additional data moves things along. As a long time former engineer at Apple I can help guide folks though the issue if you think you can help.

Regards,

Tom

Failed to connect to consoleX - causes scrolling to hang for 3-5 seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.