Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Hard drive showing full ?

does anyone know why my partitioned hard drive is showing almost completely full when running bootcamp and how to fix this ?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 12:14 PM

21 replies

Oct 13, 2014 12:48 PM in response to christina868

Is this your Windows/Bootcamp partition or the OSX partition? Resizing the Bootcamp is not officially supported. You will need to remove/re-install Windows.

Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions

How can a Windows partition be resized after Windows is installed?

You need to delete the Windows partition using the Boot Camp Assistant, and start over to change the size of the Windows partition. Back up your important Windows files first.

There are third party alternatives like Winclone.

Oct 13, 2014 4:31 PM in response to christina868

When i'm running bootcamp in windows it's showing my full 20 gigs plus used up when all i've done is install windows. i almost couldn't install a small program like quickbooks because it was saying there wasn't enough room to install. I got around it by using the internal program in windows to compress some files to allow a bit more room which allowed me to install it. But in reality i should have almost all 20 gigs because i have nothing else on the partitioned windows side running bootcamp. Any one have this problem ? any solutions ? i'd like to install more programs on the windows-bootcamp side but wont let me. Curious ....

Oct 13, 2014 8:39 PM in response to christina868

From Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems

Requirements for all Windows installations

In order to install Microsoft Windows using Boot Camp, you need the following:

• An Internet connection
  • An administrator account in OS X to use Boot Camp Assistant
  • The keyboard and mouse or trackpad that came with your Mac (If they aren’t available, use a USB keyboard and mouse)
  • A minimum of 2 GB of RAM, 30 GB of free disk space are recommended if you are installing Windows for the first time, or 40 GB of free disk space if you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows
  • An authentic Microsoft Windows full install disc or ISO file
  • A built-in optical drive, or a compatible external optical drive is required if you are using an install disc
  • 8 GB USB storage device, or external drive formatted as MS-DOS (FAT) to install the downloaded drivers

Oct 14, 2014 2:47 AM in response to christina868

christina868 wrote:

Thanks this is helpful. I think they should recommend more partitioned space in the apple support before you install bootcamp and windows.

Where did you read this information?

Microsoft are the authority on Windows, Apple Store 'geniuses' rarely have a clue where their socks are let alone anything to do with MS operating systems

Are you planning on doing anything important in Windows or is it a game and throwaway installation?

Oct 14, 2014 11:05 AM in response to christina868

christina868 wrote:

Thanks, I spent several phone sessions with apple support and was directed to only need 20 GB and a separate 10 GB external HD as well.

Its not for gaming otherwise i would have devoted lots more space. I need it for work business programs that aren't that heavy. For instance Quick books PC version is way better.

Follow Csound1's advice.

Oct 16, 2014 4:12 PM in response to christina868

First , thank you to everyone who responded to my original question.

Since then i've ended up finding no short cut solution to work and ended up re-formatting my hard drive and reinstalling bootcamp , windows ext with at least 30 GB plus.

I first tried to grab more space on my partitioned bootcamp HD by using mini tool partition wizard home edition per - discussions.apple.com/thread/5450324 which actually worked and everything seemed to be running smoothly, although on the os x side it changed the name of the partition and might have been problematic later. It all went smoothly and it seemed like a great short cut until my programs stopped working due to different weird errors- which later was determined after hours of tech support with the program re-installing cleaning and repairing was probably due to a virus 's ....

So i ended up wiping it all clean and re-partitioning with more room over the 30 recommended and now its all running smoothly. I also found out after hours with microsoft support that windows 7 does take up about 17-18 GB and the installer itself takes about 2-3GB - so definitely allocate more than 20 GB and don't make my mistake for bootcamp.

I have to say i would have just used parallel or some other software if i'd know using bootcamp was going to have taken so much time and effort - days out of my life to figure it all out. But now that it is all working it's running smoothly and quickly and it seems like its finally resolved so that i can get back to actually working. I consider myself a beginner with IT stuff and this definitely has challenged all my so called computer skills. Thanks again from all the more experienced folks out there, really it helped a bunch.🙂

Oct 16, 2014 4:20 PM in response to christina868

Good to see it finally working.

From an older Boot Camp 2.0, Mac OS X v10.5: Frequently asked questions

Which application should I use to create the Windows partition?

Use Boot Camp Assistant (in Mac OS X) to create a partition for Microsoft Windows without erasing your Mac OS X information. Boot Camp Assistant only works with an Intel-based Mac that has a single hard disk partition. Boot Camp Assistant creates a second partition on your existing startup disk for the Microsoft Windows operating system, or, if you have more than one internal hard drive installed, it will allow you to install Microsoft Windows on another drive. You can choose the size of the Windows partition when running Boot Camp Assistant, but it must be at least 5 GB and leave at least 5 GB of free space on the disk for the Mac OS X partition.

For example, if you have an 80 GB hard drive with 50 GB of space in use (30 GB free), your Microsoft Windows partition can be between 5 GB and 25 GB (30 minus 5) in size.

Note: Boot Camp Assistant does not erase your existing partition or existing Mac OS X installation when it creates a new partition for Microsoft Windows.

Important: Do not use third-party disk utilities to partition the drive before using Boot Camp Assistant--these may erase the disk.

Oct 17, 2014 4:55 AM in response to Loner T

You can choose the size of the Windows partition when running Boot Camp Assistant, but it must be at least 5 GB

I doubt that Windows will run in a 5GB partition, I doubt that it will even fit. And then there will be no room left for programs or data files and the space Windows needs for temp files.

Try 30 as a minimum, 60 to be sensible about it

Bootcamp Hard drive showing full ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.