Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Hardrive storage double the size it should be

I'm having a problem with my Macbook Pro hard drive in that it is using more space than it should. I have a 750GB hard drive and now only have 20GB of space left. Having ran an OS X Lion compatible version of OmniDiskSweeper it confirms that really the hard drive should only be 412.8GB full (but then doesn't show me where the remaining 319GB is coming from). The additional space-take-up is also categorised as part of 'Other' when viewing the storage tab on 'About This Mac'.

I have already had a browse through various forums but haven't really found anything that has been particularly helpful. I've tried disabling time machine local backups (as I back up to an external hard drive) from instructions at this link: http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-li on/ but that hasn't solved the issue. Software such as Disk Inventory and WhatSize have been no help either.

I'm running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 on a 15-Inch Early 2011 MacBook Pro and have included as much info as possible in the attached screen shot. Any help would be much appreciated in my mission to reclaim the other half of my hard drive!

User uploaded file

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 11:01 AM

16 replies

Oct 13, 2014 11:36 AM in response to mafia_ala

Unfortunately your screen shot does not show. There is a bug in the software program and this often happens.

Here are two links that describe OTHER:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6047

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

This link describes Time Machine Snapshots:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4878

For practical purposes, you may ignore them.

If you click on the HDD icon on your desk top, COMMAND+I, how does that compare with OmniDiskSweeper?

Ciao.

Oct 13, 2014 12:00 PM in response to mafia_ala

ODS can't see the whole filesystem when you run it just by double-clicking; it only sees files that you have permission to read. To see everything, you have to run it as root.

Back up all data now.

If you have more than one user account, make sure you're logged in as an administrator. The administrator account is the one that was created automatically when you first set up the computer.

Install the app you downloaded in the Applications folder as usual. Quit it if it's running.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

sudo /Applications/OmniDiskSweeper.app/Contents/MacOS/OmniDiskSweeper

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Ignore any other messages that appear in the Terminal window.

The application window will open, eventually showing all files in all folders, sorted by size. It may take a few minutes for the app to finish scanning.

I don't recommend that you make a habit of doing this. Don't delete anything as root. If something needs to be deleted, make sure you know what it is and how it got there, and then delete it by other, safer, means. When in doubt, leave it alone or ask for guidance.

When you're done with the app, quit it and also quit Terminal.

Oct 13, 2014 3:22 PM in response to Linc Davis

LINC DAVIS - I tried the steps you recommended but OmniDiskSweeper didn't discover anything untoward. It still reports back that only 413GB of storage has been used opposed to 730GB of used storage that comes up when clicking COMMAND+I on the HDD icon. (I have attached a screenshot to show you the results).

OGELTHORPE - Downloaded and ran Grand Perspective, not quite sure what to do with the results as it shows a large grey area of 'Miscellaneous used space' totalling about 263GB. I imagine that is what is making up the unnecessary amount of used storage on my laptop but how do I go about fixing that? Image also attached...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 13, 2014 7:22 PM in response to mafia_ala

It's unusual, but the volume structure seems to be corrupt in a way that Disk Utility doesn't detect.

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. One backup is not enough to be safe. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with Disk Utility. Preferably both.

Erase and install OS X. This operation will destroy all data on the startup volume, so you had be better be sure of the backups. If you upgraded from an older version of OS X, you'll need the Apple ID and password that you used, so make a note of those before you begin.

When you restart, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process in Setup Assistant. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup.

Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

After that, run Software Update.

If you ever have another problem with the drive, replace it.

Oct 22, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Linc Davis

Ok, UPDATE:

I backed up my laptop with Time Machine and to an external hard drive (just incase) and completely erased my internal hard drive, which then stated that I had 750GB of 750GB free. I went through all of the OS X set up instructions and restored my computer from the last Time Machine back up and.........

.......350GB of free space as there should be (finally)! No idea what caused my hard drive to fill up with undefined used storage but all seems sorted now. I installed OS X Yosemite afterwards too and it is mostly all good. It has however lead me onto my next problem which is my battery percentage getting 'stuck'. I'll save that for a fresh thread though...

(Thanks Linc Davis and Ogelthorpe)

Jan 27, 2015 9:13 AM in response to tnuvi

In my experience this is related to Time Machine.

Turn off Time Machine

Reboot

Turn on Time Machine

this fixes it for me every time. I think it may have to do with how Time Machine indexes and when you shutdown/sleep the system.

After I do this I always run a Verify Disk and Repair Disk Permissions via Disk Utility.

Jan 27, 2015 8:55 PM in response to Jssorc

That was not the issue, as I had not used the Time Machine. I still tried it out and did not work.

Once again, I backed up the laptop with Time Machine, erased the hard drive and restored the computer. Again, the problem was resolved. I´m just wondering for how long will it work. I also tried erasing the free space...

I wonder why is the computer doing this...

MacBook Pro Hardrive storage double the size it should be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.