Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I set up my kids apple id's last year - now that we are family sharing they are showing up as adults. How do i fix this?

So,

I set up my kids apple ID's but had to use a lot of my info because they were under 13. Now they are showing up as adults on our family sharing. I would like to get them set up as kids...but I cant figure out a way to do this.

iPad 2, Windows 8

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 12:54 AM

As far as I know only the family organiser can create child ids as part of the family - I don't think that you can change existing accounts to be child accounts, they will remain as adults.

Child accounts : Family Sharing and Apple IDs for kids

9 replies

Jun 13, 2015 10:23 AM in response to bnaimy

You should not have to do this because Apple says that you can turn on Ask to Buy for any child, not only those under 13. However, there does not appear to be anyway to categorize a teenager as a "child" for family sharing purposes. It seems like a design flaw. There ought to be a second categoryy. Something like "teen" so that parents can include them in family share and still have "ask to buy" or other restrictions/control.

Jul 4, 2015 2:33 PM in response to mikePredfan

I was able to change the birthdate on my currently 13 year old daughter (will be 14 in a few days) by making her a year older (when I selected her ACTUAL birth year and tried to save it, I received an error, which leads me to believe that her correct birthdate was set up in the first place). Once I made her 14, the Ask to Buy option appeared in the Manage Family section...

Progress, I thought... When I clicked on "Ask to Buy", I received the following message:

"XXXX is sharing purchases from an account also used by another family member. Ask to Buy can be enabled only on accounts that are not shared."

We all shared my account previously and I'm in the process of unlinking them... So maybe this will fix itself when I get through all the devices.

Jul 4, 2015 2:44 PM in response to David Lawless

After I did the above (making my child 14, but less than 18), which listed them with their age and not as an Adult, I was able to fix the "Ask to Buy" issue by deleting them from the Family account and re-adding them. During the adding process, I was able to turn on "Ask to Buy".

Hope this helps! Definitely appears to be a bug in Apple's system with older accounts (original child account was a "me.com" account), it seems they automatically treat them as adults even when they are under age 18.

I set up my kids apple id's last year - now that we are family sharing they are showing up as adults. How do i fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.