Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini server error start postgres "CANNOT_START_SERVICE_TIMEOUT_ERR"

Hello,

I bought mac mini server this week and I started to configure.

I can't start postgres with command "serveradmin start postgres", I have this error:

"CANNOT_START_SERVICE_TIMEOUT_ERR"

In this discussion Wiki: "error reading settings", Postgres "CANNOT_START_SERVICE_TIMEOUT_ERR", I do it but not success. When I open the "file/var/log/system.log" I have this lines about the execute command to start postgres:

Oct 13 20:31:42 Mac-mini-de-admin.local sudo[2376]: admin : TTY=ttys001 ; PWD=/Library/Server/PostgreSQL ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/sbin/serveradmin start postgres

Oct 13 20:31:42 Mac-mini-de-admin.local com.apple.serverd[72]: ERROR: SMJobSubmit: The operation couldn’t be completed. (kSMErrorDomainLaunchd error 9 - The job dictionary specifies that it is disabled.)

Oct 13 20:31:42 Mac-mini-de-admin.local serveradmin[2377]: servermgr_postgres: waiting for postgres to respond

Oct 13 20:31:46 --- last message repeated 7 times ---

Oct 13 20:31:46 Mac-mini-de-admin.local serveradmin[2377]: servermgr_postgres: Timed out trying to start postgres.

Oct 13 20:31:46 Mac-mini-de-admin.local serveradmin[2377]: posting dist not

I don't find where is the problem. Have any idea where is the problem?

Thank,

Att.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 11:50 AM

5 replies

Oct 13, 2014 1:37 PM in response to Gerosteiner

See the section headed "Additional Information" in this support article.

By default, the server doesn't listen on the network. To change that behavior, edit the file

/Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Config/org.postgresql.postgres.plist

To the line that begins

<string>listen_addresses=

add a comma-separated list of addresses on which you want it to listen. Then restart the server:

sudo serveradmin stop postgres
sudo serveradmin start postgres

Oct 15, 2014 11:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

If I execute this command:

ac-mini-de-admin:Config admin$ sudo serveradmin fullstatus postgres

postgres:dataDirHasBeenInitialized = yes

postgres:PG_VERSION = "9.3.4"

postgres:dataDir = "/Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Data"

postgres:postgresIsResponding = no

postgres:dataDirIsDirectory = yes

postgres:PGserverVersion = 0

postgres:dataDirExists = yes

postgres:setStateVersion = 1

postgres:state = "RUNNING"

Mac-mini-de-admin:Config admin$

but I see not responding.

Oct 15, 2014 12:41 PM in response to Gerosteiner

Hi,

At one point in the past, OS X Server's “postgres” service was intended for customers who wanted to host their own custom DBs with Postgres, distinct from other components of OS X Server that also use Postgres.

Today, it’s best not to use Server’s postgres service for hosting your own DBs that are not associated with bundled OS X Server services - you would have an easier time in the long run by doing your own installation of Postgres. Since Server’s postgres doesn’t listen on TCP by default, there should be no conflict between a PG you install and the bundled PG.

-dre

Mac mini server error start postgres "CANNOT_START_SERVICE_TIMEOUT_ERR"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.