Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting "no longer supported" message when opening gmail though Safari on Windows based laptop. Are others having problem? Any solutions?

I have been using Safari to access a gmail account for about a year. Today, I got a message that Safari is no longer supported by gmail and I need to upgrade. But I'm using the latest version of Safari. as far as I can tell. Anyone else getting this message? Is there a solution?

Also having issues with yahoo mail, as of today, when using Safari, but I'll post that on a separate forum question. I am mentioning it here because I wonder if the 2 are related. Gmail message appeared for first time today but I was getting this message from Yahoo earlier this year. I tried the work around found on this and Yahoo forum but could only get "basis" to work on Yahoo. .Today, even basic yahoo is not acting the same, reformating and showing commands in the text when I try to reply to an email. Annoying.

null-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 12:29 PM

20 replies

Oct 14, 2014 2:12 PM in response to JaneWV

I am receiving the same message each time I log on to GMail, but I am using a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.6.8 and Safari 5.1.10. I didn't think that Apple had quit supporting Safari at this level for this machine. Will I have to upgrade to Mavericks and the latest version of Safari to fix the problem? I hope not. Perhaps FoxFifth can offer some guidance or comfort.

Dave

Oct 14, 2014 2:24 PM in response to Ancient User

I believe that Safari 5.1.1 is the last version for 10.6.8 --- see Apple - Support - Downloads

The following has information on what OS X upgrades are possible (if any) for your Mac. I do not have any expertise on whether an upgrade is advisable for a specific model so you may want to start a new post asking that question and giving details about the model of your MacBook Pro.

Oct 14, 2014 3:13 PM in response to FoxFifth

My thanks to you and KiltedTim.

I've done a little research since I posted my query. Safari 5.1.10 was issued on September 12, 2013, and is, indeed, the last version suitable for my OS X 10.6.8. If it true that my operating system is about to become completely outdated, and it appears that is the case, I will have to face the problem of upgrading, if my now six year-old MacBook Pro even has the capacity.

Things simply move too quickly for me nowadays. ****, I still have some 4-cent post cards. If you don't know what those were, check with your grandfather.

Thanks, again

Dave

Oct 15, 2014 12:13 PM in response to JaneWV

Google seem to have decided in the last week or so that Safari 5.x, which is the newest Safari version available for Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is "not supported" any more, even though there are many reasons for staying with these OS X versions.

Try this (at your own risk, but it works for me), as it seems to remove the message by tricking Gmail into thinking your Safari version is newer:

-- Quit Safari

-- Locate the following file (location depends on your OS X version):

OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard:
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.pl ist

OS X 10.5 Leopard and older:
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist

-- Drag the file to your Mac's desktop to make a copy. Also make a safe copy somewhere else eg your Documents folder, as if you lose or mess up the file Safari will not launch at all. Having a backup browser is also recommended.

-- Double-click it to open it in TextEdit

-- Locate the CFBundleVersion value (the last line in the file that has numbers in it) and increment the second digit of it to the required version of Safari e.g. Safari 6 now seems to be the minimum version that Google support so change the second number from 5 to 6 (don't change anything else, only the change the second number). The value is different depending on your OS X version but as an example, for Snow Leopard 6534.59.10 becomes 6634.59.10

-- Drag the file back from the desktop to its original location, choose the option to replace the old version, and enter your password when prompted.

-- Run a permissions repair in Disk Utility to set the permissions in the file back to what they should be (not required, but good practice).

-- Launch Safari and test Gmail.

Oct 16, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Zer0reZ

WOW! Those are some sort of instructions. Thank you for going to the trouble. I have copied and pasted them into a document I will file under "very important things to think about doing". I'm just not certain I'm bright enough to try what you suggest, and willing to run the risk of fouling up my poor little computer for good. I appreciate your guidance.

Dave

Oct 16, 2014 10:13 AM in response to Ancient User

A totally different thought would be to simply abandon Gmail - you do realize that Gmail (Google) reads every incoming and outgoing email? For the purpose of "tailoring the ads just for you" (they claim), i.e. you tell a friend that you went fishing and up pop the ads for such gear. I abandoned Gmail when that started (as well as Google) - I won't have anything to do with such practices. It isn't that difficult to send out a final/last mass email with your new address after having opened another - there are plenty of free online email providers.

Oct 25, 2014 3:56 AM in response to tomrecht

There is no incompatibility, it's just Google detecting what they deem to be a version of Safari that is to be too old and displaying this annoying message - Gmail still works fine otherwise, showing that there is no actual incompatibility or reason why Safari 5 is "too old". This change just makes Gmail think that you have a newer version of Safari.

Getting "no longer supported" message when opening gmail though Safari on Windows based laptop. Are others having problem? Any solutions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.