Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to memory upgrade my iMac - will I loose files?

I want to upgrade my iMac (early 2008) and I plan to buy a 2GB memory module replacement. Just want to ask so I am sure - if I remove one of my 1GB memory modules, I won't loose anything on my computer will I? Any files for example? Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to put my mind at ease! George

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), Early 2008 iMac

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 1:57 PM

You won't unless a problem occurs. Back up everything first.

(114589)

8 replies

Oct 13, 2014 1:58 PM in response to georgethevet

No. RAM memory has no bearing on your computer's files on its hard drive. Replacing a Memory module will have no effect on your files.

However, make sure the computer is fully turned off before replacing the module, and make sure you get the right type, and make sure your iMac will allow you to place a 2GB module with a 1Gb module, as often they need to be in matched pairs.

Oct 13, 2014 4:18 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi Niel and Phil

Thanks for your helpful and quick responses - Phil I found this on an apple support page, specifically for my model (early 2008):

Memory specifications

These iMac computers have two side-by-side Synchronous Dynamic Random-Access Memory (SDRAM) slots in the bottom of the computer.

The maximum amount of random-access memory (RAM) you can install in the computer is:

Computer Memory Type Maximum Memory
iMac (Mid 2007) DDR2 4GB (2x2GB)
iMac (Early 2008) DDR2 4GB (2x2GB)
iMac (Early 2009) DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

You can use a 1GB or 2 GB RAM module in each slot for iMac (Mid 2007) and iMac (Early 2008). Use 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB modules in each slot for the iMac (Early 2009).

Taking into account what you said Phil - do you think I need to buy two 2GB modules or can I just buy one and have a 1GB and a 2GB in the slots? I got this extract from this: iMac: How to remove or install memory.

Thanks again.

George

I want to memory upgrade my iMac - will I loose files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.