Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight black/grey background on iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.0.2

on my iPhone 6 plus running iOS 8.0.2, when pulling down from any screen to reveal Spotlight search bar, the entire screen goes into black/grey color. No matter what I try it stays this way. Any ideas how to fix this? I don't have any accessibilities turned on except reduce noise when calling.

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 2:52 PM

9 replies

Oct 15, 2014 6:40 AM in response to wenyang steven

Hi wenyang steven,

If you are having issues with your iPhone showing a grey screen when you try to do a spotlight search, you may want to try some things to troubleshoot.

First, quit all running applications and test again -

iOS: Force an app to close

Next, I would try restarting the iPhone -

Turn your iOS device off and on (restart) and reset

If the issue is still present, you may want to restore the iPhone as a new device -

iOS: How to back up your data and set up your device as a new device

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Oct 15, 2014 8:08 AM in response to Brett L

Thanks for the reply Brett.

While I know "restore the iPhone as a new device" is the official Apple solution to every problem, I'm hoping to find a solution where a restore is not necessary. While I love my new iPhone 6 Plus, I don't think I can say the same about iOS 8. So many bugs. It feels like Apple has never done any QA upon releasing the software. I know this is not your problem and I'm not complaining either. It's just a user's feedback

Dec 4, 2014 1:02 AM in response to anafromcoral springs

I faced exactly the same issue on my new iphone 6 running ios 8.1.1. When doing a spotlight search from any homescreen the background screen becomes dark - black & white / greyscale instead of the usual transparent screen.

I closed all running apps & restarted the phone. This seems to solve the issue.

However its certainly a software issue on ios8. I am just hoping it doesnt re-appear. Hope apple releases a fix for this.

Apr 14, 2015 2:40 AM in response to Heycas

Hi everyone,

I faced this issue again on my iphone 6 running on latest iOS8.3. As before, restarting the phone solved it.

In my 4 months of using iphone, i have encountered this behaviour 2-3 times.

It does not happen that frequently, but still a bug is a bug & should be fixed thru software. I was hoping the iOS8.3 must have fixed this issue permanently, but since I have encountered it once, I can say it still exists.

Regards

Spotlight black/grey background on iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8.0.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.