Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 8.0.2 Very High Data Usage!

hi I am having a serious bug with iPhone 6 64GB and ios 8.0.2 and operator H3G Italy. When I use the data connection (only 3g no lte), the consumption of dat is about 500mb per day! Seeing in the consumption data of the individual app (which is equal to the retail traffic of H3G Italy) is an abnormal consumption of the app browser like Safari, Chrome, etc.. (only opera mini with max data reduction works well, with a little data usage, but the connection is under a proxy and is slow). I even noticed that the only open a web page (also in mobile version, such as www.samsung.com) ***** more than 20mb! I also restored the iphone as new and disabled anything that could create problems (connections and use of apps in the background, push notifications, iCloud, etc..) But it appears that the app browsing (and sometimes facebook app and appstore app) consume around 20mb for opening only a website. In one afternoon I consumed all the traffic data weekly of 500mb! Is this normal? It may be a bug in ios 8.0.2 software or hardware (baseband)? The blame isn t of my carrier because consumption thresholds of h3g italy are equal to those found internally by counter apple; iphone 6 really ***** huge amounts of data! I've tried using the iphone 6 8.0.2 of my friend (carrier tim) and has the same anomalous consumption (which another friend with an android phone does not have). Help me apple, I'm desperate and i need a data plan with at least 15GB per month (500mb per day)!

iPhone 6, iOS 8, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 4:37 PM

16 replies

Jan 15, 2015 8:07 AM in response to fosseperme

It sounds like you have done well in troubleshooting the issue yourself. I would immediately say update. I am also an iPhone user and in the past had high data usage, it turned out it was an app (non native) that was eating up data.

Have you checked email usage? Sometimes using pop protocol can lead to downloading emails and all attachments so if you have a pop email account and you're iPhone catches the email first it will download directly to your phone. Also is the device being used as a hotspot? Even when connected to wifi I believe the hotspot uses data.

If you have checked your usage settings and that was not successful in narrowing the issue down I would say update to see if Apple has already addressed the issue in one of the updates. If that doesn't work I would set up a genius bar appointment and get yupr device checked by an apple rep because that does sound abnormal, most of the time with extreme data usage ive noticed the devise's software has been tampered with (jail breaking etc).

I hope you get this resolved and would like to know what the issue was when you do, but to confirm that is abnormal I would totally say yes. Good Luck

Jan 15, 2015 8:49 AM in response to banditxp

Indeed, i have tried that. I was on a chat with an Apple rep the day before yesterday, and he was kind enough to screenshare and walk me through the restore steps. I honestly feel i have exhausted every option listed in this thread, but i (along with others, according to various other forums) still have the same issue. AT&T and Verizon customers both report the same problem.

Jan 15, 2015 9:08 PM in response to fosseperme

Make sure you have the actual tabs in safari or other web browser closed not just the app. If you have a webpage open in one of the tabs and it is a website that constantly updates it data then it can still be using data even when the app is closed, also I would check on notification settings if you haven't already.

iPhone 6 8.0.2 Very High Data Usage!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.