Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD Themes Disappearing

Hi Apple Support Communities,

I've loved iDVD for years, and I still would love to make DVDs on it through my MacBook Pro because it is so easy to use and I know exactly how to use it. However, I've installed iDVD 7.1.2 on my Mac running Mavericks, and I realized that the themes in the "Old Themes" section is greyed out. Luckily, I had themes on my old computer with iDVD 3 and iDVD 4. As I've been told through the communities, I inserted both folders into the "Installed Themes" folder in the Application Support. But when I started iDVD again, all the themes in the iDVD 3 and iDVD 4 folder disappeared, and the "Old Themes" section was still greyed out. I tried this again in the "Themes" folder in Application Support on the hard disk. Still no luck. So, I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem also, or knows a fix to this problem.

Thanks for your time,

ggm77

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2014 4:43 PM

Put the earlier theme folders in the same folder with the other theme folders again. Launch iDVD and in in iDVD's preferences set point iDVD to the themes folder in the Application Support folder.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

5 replies

Apr 19, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Old Toad

Good day Old Toad.... I have this same problem..

I have followed the steps above and copied iDVD 07 themes into Themes folder

When i try and add a path in preferences I go through this way

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/iDVD/Themes NB I don't have a user name in there and prefs accepts it.. IE it will not accept "Add"

Totally flummoxed here- any wisdom from you or the other chaps on here?

Best English Sunday regards. Duke

User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Duke2211

When you click on the Add button a window should be opened where you can navigate to the location of the iDVD Themes folder and select it.

Try copying the Entire iDVD folder to your Home/Library/Application Support folder and then trying the Add button to add that copy also.

Note, If you run directly from iDVD change the Preferred burning speed to 2X or 4X. It's best to burn at the slowest speed available.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Apr 19, 2015 9:25 AM in response to Duke2211

Something else you can try:

1 - delete the IDVD preference file, com.apple.iDVD.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents of IDVD'S cache folder: User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iDVD.

User uploaded file

3 - launch IDVD and try again.

NOTE: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Home/Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and press the Return key - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

If you're running Mavericks or Yosemite go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

iDVD Themes Disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.