Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Large iPhoto library; moved to new HD; can't add photos

Bear with me here...

I have a very large iPhoto library. > 250,000 photos. The iPhoto Library file is almost 2 GB. I had it living on a 2 GB hard drive (internal, in my Mac Pro - mid 2012 model). I copied that to a new 4 GB drive (also internal). I removed the old HD and it is in storage as a backup now. I have been able to use the new iPhoto Library on the new HD just fine. However, when I try to add now photos as I approach 2 GB in storage, I get an error message that states there's not enough space in the new library. It;s as if it doesn't recognize that the new HD is 4 GB instead of 2.

I tried restarting. I will try a shut down/wait/restart now. Not optimistic that will solve my issue. Thoughts?

PS I know it's a crazy large library and would love to move more to Lightroom (which is where I keep most of my working files). Wife has grown accustomed to working with iPhoto and she is not fond of changing software. Also, her preference is to have a large master library if you will. I have multiple backups (backup off site as well as an on-site external drive that backs up weekly and lives in a fire proof safe.

Using iPhoto 9.5.1; Mac Pro 2012 running OS 10.9.5

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 9:17 AM

10 replies

Oct 14, 2014 9:28 AM in response to c23roo

The iPhoto Library file is almost 2 GB

Surely you mean 2 TB? 2GB is less storage than a thumbs drive.

, I get an error message that states there's not enough space in the new library. It;s as if it doesn't recognize that the new HD is 4 GB instead of 2.

Check the file system on the drive. Is the drive correctly formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)? You can see this in the Info panel for the drive. Select the drive in the Finder and use the command "File > Get Info". What is the file system?

PS I know it's a crazy large library

iPhoto 9.5.1 is good for 1000000 photos. And with Lightroom you will lose the MacOS X integration. How about moving to Aperture? You wife could still open the library in iPhoto, since the photo libraries are the same for iPhoto and Aperture. Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Oct 18, 2014 7:16 PM in response to Eric Root

I was able to copy a small file but when I tried a larger file I received an error message that it could not write the file to the new location. Seems to behave as a 2 TB drive though disk utility recognizes it as a 4 TB. It is set up as one partition, and appears to be halfway full. Still not sure how to proceed.

Oct 20, 2014 10:31 AM in response to c23roo

Ok. I was told that because I cloned the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner that the drive would behave like the original (i.e. as if it were only 2 TB). I tried to reformat the drive using Disk Utility. Now I have a new problem:

Disk Utility formatted it using a Logical Volume Group (LVG) instead of GUID.

Furthermore, Disk Utility subsequently refused to allow me to reformat or repartition this drive. The Partition Layout drop-down in Disk Utility is greyed-out. I seem to be stuck with a LVG drive.

Mid 2012 Mac Pro, running 10.9.5

Disk Utility: Version 13 (450)

How can I remove the Logical Volume Group partition scheme and reformat this drive as GUID?

C

Oct 22, 2014 7:25 PM in response to c23roo

Ok so I managed to reformat the drive as GUID. Had to hook it up to my old Mac Pro 1,1 (love that guy!) and use an older version of Disk Utility.

Still while I was able to reformat the disk as GUID, I was unable to load data on the drive past 2 TB. When I reach that point I cannot put new stuff onto the disk. SO I still have a 4 TB drive that is behaving like a 2 TB.

Any new thoughts out there?

C

Large iPhoto library; moved to new HD; can't add photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.