Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install os x tiger on a blank power mac g5?

A friend of mine gave me his power mac g5, freshly wiped and without install discs. I have install discs for Snow Leopard, but I seem to understand that Tiger is the last OS that works with power macs. Of course, when I turn on the computer, all I get is the gray screen with the finder icon/question mark. Is there any way I can install OS X Tiger without the install discs?

Sorry in advance that I cannot provide the specs for this computer. I'm not really sure how I can find them without being able to use the computer itself.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 9:48 AM

5 replies

Oct 14, 2014 9:51 AM in response to ExistentialGardener

1. Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard is the last OS for G4 and G5 Macs.

2. No. You need to use the computer's original disks or a retail package which is newer than the Mac but older than 10.6.

3. Locate the computer's serial number, append the last three characters of it to http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords= , and load the page.

(114637)

How do I install os x tiger on a blank power mac g5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.