Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto database

Am I correct in saying that iPhoto v9.5 now does things a little different in database saving? I'm sure I read somewhere that rather than saving a copy of every time an edit is done on a pic, so loads of different versions of the same pic, it now "logs" the changes and only saves one version, thus saving lots of hard disk space.

Am I talking rubbish here!?! or is this correct? If so surely this will saves lots of space now, and the question is why didn't older iPhoto's do it this way then?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 4:16 PM

The update to iPhoto 9.3 changed the IPhoto library considerably. iPhoto uses now the same library as Aperture and stores a description of the edits, just like Aperture.

See: Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

5 replies

Oct 14, 2014 9:53 PM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN wrote:

No - it is still basically the same - for years iPhoto has had the original, a preview and a thumbnail - same today

And no one here can tell you "why" anything as we are just users exactly like you - we help people use what has been released - we do not have anything to do what why it is what ti is

LN

But it does don't use as much HDD space as it used to do though? I appreciate we are just users, just thought maybe a simple reason that's all, maybe as a "free" program or something.

I thought now though if you make an edit on a photo it doesn't make a brand new copy of the photo for every edit, whereas it used to.

Thanks

Oct 14, 2014 10:59 PM in response to QwertyMan11

Am I correct in saying that iPhoto v9.5 now does things a little different in database saving? I'm sure I read somewhere that rather than saving a copy of every time an edit is done on a pic, so loads of different versions of the same pic, it now "logs" the changes and only saves one version, thus saving lots of hard disk space.

Yes and no. Yes it does things a little differently, no it never kept "loads of different versions of the same pics." In terms of disk space used the difference is negligible.

iPhoto database

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.