Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Urgent: iMovie crashed and now won't open. How can I retrieve the movie I was working on?

I've been working on a university project for weeks now and was doing so this afternoon.

As I went to import a MP4 (just like I had done every time before) iMovie crashed.

Now when I try to open it, all I get is a black box with grey boarders at the top and left-hand side.

I've tried to get the movie from the iMovie library, and other sources on the mac, but I can't seem to find it.

The assignment is due next week, and the editing for the project is huge.

Is there anyway I can get it back?

I don't care about iMovie itself, as long as I can get the movie I was working on back.

Any help would be much appreciated.

From an extremely stressed student

iMovie (iOS)

Posted on Oct 14, 2014 11:07 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2017 1:32 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

@RedTheAbnormal, I've been having issues with iMovie since I updated to Sierra yesterday, and though I haven't found how to fix mine, your's sounds like an issue I head about Nikon's producing funny video formats that cause what you're having. See if you can convert the file first (Quicktime might do it) and then see if you can remove the MP4 you uploaded manually from the Movies/iMovie... folder?

See if that helps.

Urgent: iMovie crashed and now won't open. How can I retrieve the movie I was working on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.