Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine two backup progress panes

Hi

I have an early 2006 17" MBP (Snow Leopard 10.6.8) and recently whilst backing up using Time Machine I am seeing 2 different Time Machine Backup panes which occasionally display different backup amounts as though the backups were out of step (but not by much). I did not see 2 panes previously. The smaller pane only appeared recently. My question is why 2 panes? In my experience this is not normal. I have owned the MBP from new.

Regards Phil

User uploaded file

END

MacBook Pro (17-inch), Mac OS X (10.6.8), .Mac full member

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 4:39 AM

They are the same backup progress.

Quit TimeMachine, Start TM again: check the "exclude" list in TM Preferences.

What else did you do but the "disable local snapshots" ?

Did or do you have a TimeMachine Scheduler tool installed: uninstall it, causes trouble.

Lex

58 replies

Oct 15, 2014 3:30 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

The only 'exclude' I have set is 'Dropbox', all other files, folders and apps can be backed up.

'Disable local snapshots' ??? This option does not exist in the 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (SL) version of Time Machine (TM). I do not believe I have access to the TimeMachine Scheduler in SL, at least I have never seen it. However, you do raise an important and interesting point. I am using TM to backup over a LAN to a NAS and I have never been entirely satisfied that this configuration works reliably. I have NEVER encountered problems with TM and a directly connected HDD, e.g. USB or Ethernet and I use both techniques. I keep multiple backups on different drives. Belts & braces principle, because my data is valuable to me.

But I have another option to backing up to a NAS. I use Tri-Backup Pro (TBP), which is like the 'Swiss Army Knife' of backup applications. TBP is incredibly flexible and it's fast, >2GBpm is easily possible over Ethernet. In fact I have had much better success with TBP backing up to my NAS but I am a bit of a perfectionist and would like to get TM working with my NAS too, if possible. However, if such an arrangement proves unreliable, I am perfectly willing to restrict using TM with directly connected HDDs and use TBP exclusively with my NAS, although TBP is equally happy working with directly connected drives too. I seem to be making a case for dumping TM in favour of TBP but I like the simplicity of TM even though it is not very informative during operation. TBP, on the other hand, is hugely informative.

The point you make which interests me most of all is whether the TM Scheduler could interfere destructively with the TBP Scheduler over which I can exercise control. My MBP has been suffering mysterious, apparently random 'freezes' which I have not been able to pin down to a particular application or applications. I now have another train of thought to consider. Thanks.

Regards Phil.

Oct 16, 2014 1:03 AM in response to philharve

Hi Phil:

Normally in the exclude list I put everything that is not the startup disk.

Local Snapshots: you are correct, not in SL, my mistake. My remark was pointed mostly at the TimeMachine scheduling tools (like TimeMachineEditor) that circulate the internet: they may cause unspecific issues: read the pondini.org sites about TimeMachine. I think he also mentions the use of NAS. To have more than one backup is good practice (I have four for email boxes, and three in general). TBP is very good.

Freezes: hmmm, difficult to guess. Probably not the TBP scheduler. Can you be more specific? Already checked the hardware (battery, disk, ram)?

Lex

Oct 16, 2014 10:52 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

Exclude list: Yes, I follow the same principle.

TimeMachine: I have a Time Machine widget and BackupLoupe. I seldom use either. I don't use TM editors. Pondini is one of my favourite reads.

Backups: I have about 8 in all, they are cyclically updated, one HDD per day. I have a bunch of HDDs. My NAS has multiple shares with further backups placed in them. These backups are updated daily. I have not encountered many people who are familiar with TBP so it is nice to hear another endorsement for it.

The random freezes have vexed me for, probably, 2-1/2 - 3 years. Sometimes my MBP can freeze >20 times a day but other days it may not freeze once but this level of reliability is exceptional. The freezes appear to be connected with the number of open applications and type of applications running. The fewer the number of applications running the less likely it is my MBP will freeze. I have checked my HDD and RAM and even swapped them but nothing was ever found wrong. I have a number of disk and system checking utilities which I sometimes use several times a day. Since the freezes commenced I have diagnosed and checked my MBP probably >>1000 times and no problems (hardware: HW or software: SW) have ever been identified, not even a hint of a problem. I have removed applications, switched applications, chosen different combinations of applications to run/exclude to investigate whether the freezing is due to an interaction problem but nothing has ever found.

The freezes can vary in nature. They can be 'total', nothing moves, not even the cursor and a 'power off-on restart' is obligatory. Sometimes only the cursor moves and the applications are frozen, but once again a power off reset is necessary. Incidentally, I have never had a freeze in Safe Mode which must surely be a clue to the nature of the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot run some of my more important and useful applications in Safe Mode. Sometimes my MBP (32-bit) can run very slowly, as if the Finder had lost its way, and this process's activity shoots up towards 100%. I frequently monitor my system using Activity Monitor to see if I can spot anything unusual and when they occur I have dealt with them. However, I have never got to the bottom of the freezes which 'feel' like a SW issue. I am now retired but I spent over 40 years working in electronics and a HW fail exhibits a certain kind of behaviour, call it a 'signature', and I feel confident I could spot a motherboard issue, if one existed. No, there is no signature present because it would exhibit a repeatability that I would detect. All the signs are that I have a software issue which seems to impact across all open applications. Freezes are more likely the greater the number of open applications. For example, if I have finished my work for the day and I let TM start backing up (and nothing else), it can backup 300 - 400GB overnight without freezing. However, if I am browsing the Web, usually with Safari, and I have other applications running in the background, a freeze is very likely to occur and often.

About the time of the commencement of the freezes I performed an upgrade to Snow Leopard (SL) to take it up to 10.6.8. I think this was the consolidated 1.09GB v1.1 update. I forget which previous version I had previously but it could have been 10.6.6/7. I have steadily upgraded SL from the original SL 10.6 DVD by downloading updates. I am wondering if updates upon updates could be causing the problem? I have purchased a 10.6.3 DVD and I am contemplating a clean install (following a reformat) from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8. Maybe a rebuild will solve my problem. This is something I have yet to try.

I have drifted away somewhat from my original posting (Time Machine issue with the 2 panes) but there might just be a connection. The smaller pane reminds me of what the Time Machine progress pane looked like in the early days. The bigger pane is the one I am more used to seeing. Seeing both panes together looks wrong to me because the smaller pane is redundant. I only began seeing this smaller pane recently. Why? Something has changed. Fortunately I diarise my life, especially any alterations I make to my MBPs (I now have 4) and I can look back through 7 years of history at electronic speed in order to spot (maybe) that vital clue.

Regards Phil

PS - I was able to submit this long reply without a freeze. This is indeed a rare event. I updated 3 of my applications in the last 4 hours and just maybe one of these eliminated the problem. Fingers crossed!

Oct 17, 2014 2:08 AM in response to philharve

Incredibly good description.

I do not know what the cause may be of the freezes.

It looks like a Ram issue, but then, you checked that already and reseated the Ram already. Is it the original Ram?

I do not suspect the SL "update on update", but, if that is the cause, an install of the SL Combo Update probably helps; if you have a non-Apple SSD startup disk, you may try without installing the Trim command after the combo update (the kext is reset to standard apple). See if it is better. This may also solve the two TM panes phenomenon.

Another cause may be a connector internally, maybe replacing the disk sata connector cable helps (not expensive and cheap, do not use a third party cable).

Your disk connection is 1.5 Gbps, If you have an SSD it may be that it has to downstep more than one step, normally no problem.

You could also try what happens when you disable the SuddenMotionSensor (sms): open Terminal, copy/paste sudo pmset -a sms 0 in it, enter and Quit Terminal.

Lex

Oct 17, 2014 4:22 AM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

The present RAM (2GB) is by Crucial, I think. I thought the freezing problem might be RAM so I swapped it (both boards) from the original Apple-supplied RAM. As stated above, it made no difference. I have run extended RAM tests over many hours using various bit patterns and not one failure was logged. The RAM boards are matched for performance and purchased from a well known manufacturer which is why I have discounted RAM as the cause of the freezes.

You are correct in assuming I switched the original 100GB HDD. Firstly I upgraded to a 500GB HDD and now I have a 512GB SSD (non-Apple) and my MBP boots in about 15 - 20 seconds. I did consider the possibility it might be the SSD but the same problem existed with the 500 GB HDD and, anyway, swapping SSDs is not something I would consider because of their high cost. Yep, I am not using my SSD at its full design speed and, as you say, it is a downstep in a sense. I have a 'slow' motherboard bus but in 2006 it was regarded as fast. Within a year my 17" MBP became obsolete with the release of an upgraded model. The use of an SSD greatly boosts performance over my previous HDDs despite the downstep. Anyway, the freezing occurred before I fitted the SSD.

I wondered about the 'Combo' update too which is why I recently purchased the 10.6.3 DVD. I don't think Apple ever released a later DVD, 10.6.8 say, so I will be applying the Combo again. I have encountered the 'odd' application that is not 32-bit friendly and I assisted Tri-ERDE and Thierry Roland to optimise TBP for use on the older OS X machines, like mine. I have been wondering if I have inadvertently installed a third-party application that doesn't take account of my older 32-bit MBP. How would I know? Is there a test for unfriendly applications?

Trim command? No, I have no recollection of either seeing or using this. Could this be the source of the freezing and maybe the twin panes? I did recently encounter another problem along similar lines which I posted on this forum and the very first respondent found the solution at the first attempt. This problem had a similar feel to the present one but I cannot recall exactly what the symptoms were. However, the problem was fixed.

Disk SATA cable! This is another new idea. Is this a small, thin, ribbon cable? Can they still be obtained 'new' for a 2006 MBP or must I search the secondhand merchants?

Sudden Motion Sensor! Another new idea. Fortunately my MBP has led an easy life but it did once slide off my bed onto a carpeted floor and later a heavy book fell on it. Apart from that it has never suffered any abuse. I have a polycarbonate shell protecting the chassis from scuffs and scratches. I suppose the Sudden Motion Sensor serves no useful purpose with an SSD fitted? I will give your suggestion a try.

Regards Phil

Oct 17, 2014 9:58 AM in response to philharve

Hi Phil,

in order of your post:

-- I suggest strongly to replace the two Ram modules for 2x2 GB, thus 4GB: I think that will solve your issue. Use Crucial and the exact spec.

-- The 10-15 secs boot is a bit long, but the ram upgrade will better that also. The downstep of the SSD is not very important in speed, but two downsteps may sometimes give issue. Leave this SSD unchanged.

-- Doing the Combo will "clean" all fallen bits, important or not: I do a Combo twice a year to be sure.

-- I do not immediately think about a "wrong" third party software, but you could make a screen shot of everything that is in the Applications and Utilities folder, maybe I spot something.

-- Trim: it changes an important kext, OSX is almost never very happy abot that. Do not set trim unless you are literate on the subject. In any case in a modern SSD you will never notice the difference. And after th Combo the trim change is eliminated.

-- Sata cable: I am not sure they are still available, check OWC and iFixit. But wait until you have upgraded the Ram.

-- SMS same, but it does not hurt to turn it off since you do not have a HDD.

Lex

Oct 17, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

Taking your points chronologically ...

My early 2006 MBP can only accept 2GB of RAM. The October 2006 upgrade raised this to 3GB and in 2007 it was raised to 4GB.

A 10 - 15 second boot is a bit too long!!! I remember when my 17" MBP was new I felt privileged the boot could be accomplished within 60 - 120 seconds. Dramatically reducing this by around 1m 20s by fitting an SSD I felt was a considerable achievement. From your comments I should be able to do better but I don't see how.

I thought I understood what the Combo upgrade was all about but I shall have to take another look at what it does. I thought the Combo update was simply the latest (or last) version of Snow Leopard to be released by Apple. From your description it does much more than that. You say you use it repeatedly? Now I find that very interesting!

Yes, I can send you a listing of my applications. Will just the names do?

You shouldn't have mentioned 'Trim' because now I will have to find out about it. I have an inquiring mind and an insatiable thirst for knowledge. I am a 'quick study' too.

Sata cable. I know there has been a discussion about sata cables in the 2011 series of MBPs although I haven't studied the details. Maybe I should because I recently purchased a 2011 13" MBP i7 (Sandy Bridge) which I intend to upgrade with a 512GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. It is currently running Mavericks and has never been upgraded. I assume the cable issue concerns one or more of these: possible corrosion, micro fractures, loose connections? I will contact OWC from whom I purchased the 13" MBP a short while ago. Maybe they can advise on the sata cable for the early 2006 models. I had a quick look on their website and there is mention of sata cables in the non-unibody, early 2006 MBPs. If there is an issue then maybe obtaining a secondhand one is not smart because it will likely be of a similar age to mine.

Would disabling the SMS really make any real difference when used with an SSD? Are you thinking about possible vibration effects? I normally operate my MBPs on a cantilevered table which can be swivelled, raised and lowered whilst maintaining a stable platform. Freezing still occurs on this table, even when I'm not using it.

I forgot to mention that in addition to the freezes my screen sometimes goes blank (black) and it will not reactivate until I perform an OFF-ON reset. It is as if my MBP had gone to sleep and like Sleeping Beauty will not wake until certain conditions are met. It is my impression that the blank screen problem is most likely to occur when the brightness control in turned down, for example, when in a darkened room. Yes, I have investigated SMC reset, etc.

Regards Phil

Oct 17, 2014 3:05 PM in response to philharve

Hi Lex

Here is my application list ... I think it is complete but have not checked it!

Regards Phil

Adobe AIR Application Installer 3.9.0.1380

Adobe AIR Uninstaller 3.9.0.1380

Adobe Elements 11 Organizer 11.0

Adobe Flash Player Install Manager 15.0.0.152

Adobe ImageReady CS2 9.0

Adobe Photoshop CS2 9.0.2

Adobe Photoshop CS3 10.0.1

Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor 11.0

Adobe Reader 11.0.0.9

Adobe Stock Photos CS3 1.5.0.466

AIM 2.2.439

Airfoil-Maker 850 8.50

Alarm Clock Pro 9.5.7

AppCleaner 2.2.1

AppFresh 1.0.4

AQUAZONE 1.0.2

Audacity 2.0.5

AutoAdjustment Task 1.0.0.18

BatchImageResizer 1.5.9

BatChmod 1.6.3

BBC iPlayer Desktop 3.2.15

BIAS Authorization Manager 2.1.2

Bonjour Browser 1.5.6

Bridge 1.0.4.6

Bridge CS3 2.1.1.9

Briefer 850 8.50

Business

CADintosh 7.5.4

CameraWindow 7.11.0.1

CameraWindow DC 7.0.0.15

CameraWindow DC 8 8.9.1.5

CameraWindowDSLR 5.2.0.2

CameraWindowDVC 5.0.4.28

CameraWindowDVC+ 6.5.1.3

Canon IJ Network Tool 4.3

CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Task 1.3.0.8

CanoScan Toolbox 5.0 5.0.1.4

Capture Me 1.4.1

Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.4

CardFormat 1.0

CD Spin Doctor 6.1.2

CD-LabelPrint 1.8.1

CheckBook Pro 2.5.4

CIGUpload 99.99.99.99

CleanMyMac 1.10.10

Clone X 4 4.2.9

CNET TechTracker 2.1.1 beta

Cocktail 5.1

coconutBattery 2.8

ColorBrightnessAdjustment Task 1.0.0.17

Coriolis CDMaker 1.3.7

Currency Converter-1 1.9.6

Data Rescue 3

Data Rescue 3

Deeper 1.3.4

DesignPro 1.0

Device Central 1.1

Digital Photo Professional 3.4.1.1

DirectTransfer 6.5.1.2

Disc Cover 2 RE 2.3.2

Disc Cover 3 RE 3.0.9

DiskTools Pro 3.9.1

DiskWarrior 4.4

Dragon Dictate 2.5.2

Drive Genius 2 2.3

Drive Genius 3

Drive Genius 3 3.2.5

Drop2Read 1.0.5

Dropbox 2.4.11

DropStuff

DVD-Creator 3.8

EasyDuplicateFinder 4.7.0.368

EasyDuplicateFinder-osx32-setup

EasyFind

EasyFind 4.9.1

EazyDraw 5.0.8

eMedia Guitar Method 5.0 alpha1

EOS Utility 1.1.1.9

EOS Video Snapshot Task 1.0.0.11

ESPN

EyeTV 3.5.4 3.5.4

Fan Control 1.2

File Buddy 10.0.2

FileSalvage 8.0.0.3

Firefox 29.0.1

Flash Player 15.0.0.152

FlashbackRemoval

Flight Tracker

Flip4Mac WMV

FontExplorer X Pro 4.2

FR1Utility 5.0

Free Solitaire 3D 6.0.2

Free StuffIt Offer!

fseventer 2.7.6

Get Backup 2 RE 2.4.4

Google

Google Chrome 38.0.2125

Google Earth 7.1.1.1888

GraphicConverter 8.8.3

Growl 1.2.2

HardwareMonitor 4.97

HP-12C

hp12cP

hp12cP

iBatt 3.0

iBatt2

iCab

iCab

iconvert

icWord 4.1 4.1.2

iDefrag 2.2.6

iDraw 2.3

iGetter

iGrabber Capture 1.4.6

iGrabber Exporter 1.4.6

iGrabber Uninstall 1.4.6

iListen 1.8

ImageBrowser 6.9.0.3

ImageBrowser EX 1.3.0.5

ImageResizer 0.9.2

IndexPrint Task 1.0.0.19

Info 1.0

InsertText Task 1.0.0.16

Intego Backup Assistant 1.0.4

Intego Backup Manager Pro 1.0.4

Intego Uninstaller 10.6.2

Interarchy 10.0.4

IP Scanner Pro 3.21

iPhoto Buddy 1.3.7.4846

iPhoto Library Manager 4.0.9

iPlayer Downloader 4.2

iRepair 1.0.6

iSkysoft PhotoMagic 1.0.3

iSkysoft SyncPod 2.0.3

iSkysoft Video Converter

iStat Pro 4.92

iStumbler 99.0

iStumbler

iStumbler

Kext Wizard 3.7.10

Kext Wizard 3.7.10

LevelAdjustment Task 1.0.0.16

Lingon 2.1

Little Snitch Configuration 3.3.4

Lotto Sorcerer v7 7.4.0.3

Mac2Tivo 1.2

Mac2Tivo 1.1

MacASCII Display 1.4.1.3

MacPilot 5.0.8

MacScan 2.9.4

MacSpeech Dictate 1.5.9

MacStumbler

MagicMenu

MailSteward 10.2

Maintenance 1.4.1

Make StuffIt X

Make tgz

Make Zip

Max

MCU 2.2.0.10

MediaCentral 2.8.9

MFManager 1.3.0.5

Microsoft AutoUpdate 2.3.6

Microsoft AutoUpdate 1.1.2

Microsoft Messenger 8.0.1

Miro 6.0

Monolingual 1.4.5

Monopoly 1.0.2

Motion Pictures HD

Movavi Video Converter 3.3

Movie Uploader for YouTube 1.4.3.23

MovieBinder 1.3.0.5

MovieEdit Task 3.9.0.10

MovieEdit Task 4.2.0.15

MovieFrame Task 2.8.0.4

MovieFrame Task 3.2.0.5

Movies

MP Navigator EX 1.0 1.0.5

MP Navigator EX 1.0 Opener 1.0

MSRegistration 1.2.3

MSSupport 1.15

My Book Live Duo Setup 1.2.2.22

MyCamera 6.4.0.5

MyCamera DC 7.2.1.5

MyCamera Manager 7.7.0.2

Myst V End of Ages 1.0

myVCR

NeoOffice 3.4.1

Net Monitor 4.5.4

Net Monitor Sidekick 1.4.2

NTFSforMacOSX 10.0.1

OLYMPUS Master 2 2.3

OmniOutliner 3.10.6

OnePagePrint Task 1.0.0.18

OnyX 2.4

OpenOffice 4.0

Pacifist 3.0.10

PageSender Fax Center 4.6

PasswordWallet 4.8.1

Path Finder 6.0.10

PDF Stuffer

Peak LE 6 6.2

PEMDAS 2.0.1

Pen Tablet Utility 5.3.3

PenTablet 5.3.3

People

PhotoRescue 3.3.5

PhotoStitch 3.2.0.19

Picasa 3.9.137.192

Pixelmator 2.2.2

Plane-Maker 850 8.50

PlistEdit 1.2

PopChar 6.7

Preferential Treatment 1.1.8

RAW Image Task 3.2.0.10

RCDefaultApp 2.1

Readiris 12.0.6

ReadMe First 2.0

ReadMe(AutoUpdateService) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(CameraWindow DC 8) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(CameraWindow DC) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(CameraWindow) 1.0.0.1

ReadMe(CameraWindowDSLR) 1.0.0.1

ReadMe(DPP) 1.0.0.1

ReadMe(EOS Utility) 1.0.0.8

ReadMe(EOS Video Snapshot Task) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(Image Handling Library) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(ImageBrowser EX) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(ImageBrowser) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(Movie Uploader for YouTube) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(MovieEdit Task) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(MovieEdit Task) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(MyCamera DC) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(PhotoStitch) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(RAW Image Task) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(RemoteCapture DC) 2.0.0.1

ReadMe(RemoteCapture Task) 1.0.0.1

RealPlayer 12.0.1

RecoveRx 1.1

RedEyeCorrection Task 1.2.0.2

Redshift 2.0.1

RemoteCapture DC 3.1.1.12

RemoteCapture Task 1.7.0.4

Remove iSkysoft SyncPod 2.0.1

ResizeMe

ResizeMe 2.2

SafariBookmarkChecker 1.30

Screenflick 2.2.25

SendEmail Task 1.0.0.18

Setup Utility 2.3 2.3

Sharpness Task 1.0.0.16

Ski Report

Skype 6.12.60.438

SkypeABDialer 1.7

SkypeABSMS 1.7

SlideShowViewer 1.3.0.5

SMART Utility 3.1 beta

SmartSleep 2.6

smcFanControl 2.2.2

Snapz Pro X 2.3.3

SnowChecker

SpamSieve 2.9.17

SpeedTools Utilities Pro 3.7

Spin Doctor 1.0

Spotless 3.0

Stocks

Streamer 2.1

Stuff & Burn

Stuff & Encrypt

StuffIt 2010 Uninstaller

StuffIt Archive Manager

StuffIt Destinations 15.0.7

StuffIt SEA Maker

StuffIt Setup Assistant

StuffIt User Guide

SuperDuper! 2.7.2

TechTool Pro 7 7.0.4

TextExpander 3.4.2

TextExpander

TextWrangler 4.5.8

Tile Game

Time Machine Buddy 1.0.7

TiVo Transfer 2.1

Toast Titanium

Toast Titanium 11.1

Toast Titanium 10.0.5

ToneCurveAdjustment Task 1.0.0.16

TranslateIt! 14.1

TranslateIt!

Transmit

Tri-BACKUP 6 6.5

Trimming Task 1.0.0.16

TuneUp 2.4.2

Uninstall iGetter

Uninstaller

UpdateChecker 2.3.0.1

Uploader for Facebook 1.0.3.23

UploaderForCiG 1.1.1.8

Video Editor For Mac 1.0

Viewer 4.1

Viewer

ViewIt 2.50

Virtual CD Manager 1.0.0.3

VLC 2.0.10

VueScan 9.4.37

Vuze 5.3

WD +TURBO Installer 1.1.15

WD +TURBO Installer 1.3.1

WD Drive Utilities 1.1.7.5

WD Quick Formatter 1.0.0.6

WD Quick View Uninstaller 1.1

WD Quick View v1.4 Installer

WD Quick View v2.4.0.6 Installer 2.4

WD Quick View v2.4.0.6 Installer

WD Security 2.0.0.25

WD SmartWare 1.3.3.6

WDDriveUtilityHelper 1.0.0.16

WDDriveUtilityHelper

WDFirmwareUpdater V3.2.0.10 3.2.0.10

WDQuickViewPrefsPane 2.2.0.3

WDSecurityHelper 1.0.0.14

Web Clip

WMV Player

Wondershare AllMyTube 5.3.1

Wondershare DVD Creator 3.6

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate 3.6.1

Wondershare Vivideo 2.0.3

World-Maker 850 8.50

X-Plane 850 8.50

X-Plane Installer 113 Mac 8.40

Xilisoft Audio Converter Pro 6.4

Yasu 2.8.2

Oct 18, 2014 1:52 AM in response to philharve

Again in your order:

SSD: of course it is much faster startup than the HDD, but in my old macs it starts up faster because I have more Ram, thus there are practically no Page-Outs. That is why I think that only two GB of Ram causes a slower startup. Of course the effect of Page-Outs is much smaller, than when you have a HDD.

You can see the page-outs in ActivityMonitor: click the memory column and check at the bottom, use the mac half a day or so after the startup, then look in the ActivityMonitor, page-outs should below a few MB, not more, when you have enough ram, when you have GB page-outs, put in more ram.

Combo: a combo is not the same as an update: it is all updates in one. Thus it refreshes all after the first release of the OS. A long time already it is proposed to do instead of the "standard" single update.

Sata cable.

Trim: ok.

SMS, no it does not make any difference normally, but you never know.

My first recommendation is still more Ram, but look at note 1) about your software list.

Your app list:

my remarks now are not pointed as cause for your issue, unless said otherwise:

The Adobe apps: are they all regular, not torrent downloads?

Appfresh: I do not trust that one, like the Macupdate tool and others: I propose to uninstall it.

You have more than one icon for some apps (CS, Bridge, and a LOT more), why?

You must uninstall completely CleanMyMac, this is a mac killer, one of the worst there is: this can be the cause of your issues. 1)

Less so for Coktail, BAD too. 1)

CNET TechTracker, also a must to uninstall. 1)

iDefrag, bad, 1)

MonoLingual , bad,1)

All the WD software, uninstall. 2)

Disktools pro, TechToolPro, DiskWarrior, all Drive Genius. 2)

Hardware Monitor, SpeedToolsUtility, 2)

LittleSnitch, MagicMenu, uninstall 2)

iBatt3, iBatt2: uninstall, Coconut does a good job, uninstall.

iRepair, Smartsleep, smcFanControl, also.

SuperDuper, about the same as CarbonCopyCloner, choose one and uninstall the other. (I have chosen for CCC).

Kextwizard, Tuneup, uninstall. 2)

NTFS for Mac, uninstall, you do not need that, I guess

Onyx and Pacifist: only when you understand what to do with them.

In general: a lot of doubles, a lot of apps that you do not need in a mac, a lot of apps that are counterproductive.

notes:

1) it is imperative to completely uninstall, especially CleanMyMac: it is important to know what you did with it: if you "cleaned" "system files that you do not need" (like languages), you have in my opinion no alternative than making a fresh install of Snowleopard on a formatted startup disk. Then install all app that you absolutely need by hand, not from backups, and then move all user data by hand from backups. If you did not use CleanMyMac, or ONLY for cleaning caches, a complete uninstall may do. Tell me what version CMM is (1 or 2) and I will tell you how to do a complete uninstall.

Effectively the same for Monolingual.

TechTracker, iDefrag complete uninstall will do.

2) This is all counterproductive software, you better uninstall.

Lex

Oct 18, 2014 12:54 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

Wow! That is a long list of recommendations. It will take me some time to work may way through all of them.

I will try to respond to your comments.

More RAM. Yes, I accept that more RAM will reduce page-outs and this may explain why my MBP slows down when the number of running applications increases. The greater access speed of SSD over HDD will tend to have the opposite effect and slightly improve matters. I use Activity Monitor frequently to get a feel for how my system is performing.

I have reread your other comments concerning increasing RAM several times and in general agree with them. However, you seem to be advising me to increase my RAM, which I would love to do, but I am already maxed at 2GB. The 32-bit Core Duo processor in my 17" MBP cannot accommodate more RAM. That is one physical limitation I have to accept which for the past 8 years hasn't proved that much of an obstacle. I have 3 more powerful MBPs that I can call upon for serious number crunching. I like my 17" MBP, mainly for its big screen. I believe Apple no longer makes the 17" model?

Combo. Is a sequence of updates! OK, but one wonders why Apple didn't release a 10.6.8 version of Snow Leopard. I have acquired the last known DVD version with is 10.6.3 which I intend to use next time I perform a clean install. I suppose it will be OK to use Combo 1.1 on 10.6.3, or any of the intermediates releases? I am always suspicious of applying update upon update incase something gets missed.

Torrents. As far as I can recall I only use torrents for downloading films and the like. I don't use torrents for applications because I think that is asking for trouble.

Application list. Actually I used 'AppFresh' to produce this list and I have noticed that it inserts 'duplicates' records without there actually being a duplicate application. I have complained to the developer but I have never had a reply.

There are a few exceptions though, for example, Toast and PhotoShop. When I buy a later release of an application I tend to hold onto the previous version until I am happy that the later version is working correctly.

I cannot comment at this time on your recommendations concerning which applications I should uninstall because if I do I will need to refer out to a statement stating why I did it. I document all changes which helps me keep track of progress, achievement and helps me backtrack should I do something stupid. However, you seem to have a good grasp concerning which applications are deadly to Macs and I have been wondering if this is down to personal experience or whether there exists a database of 'applications deadly to Macs' somewhere. If such a database doesn't exist, why not? It could be of great use to all Mac users.

You clearly don't like 'CleanMyMac' which comes in for special attention. I infer from you commentary that its use will have damaged Snow Leopard and this could be the root of my freezing problem. Since it has been my intention sometime soon to perform a clean install using my 10.6.3 DVD, followed by 'Software Update' followed by 'Combo 1.1' (still necessary?), I will simply omit installing 'CleanMyMac' after the clean install. I imagine you would be happy for me to omit your other recommendations? It looks as though a clean install would be the easiest option rather than to unpick those applications you regard as dangerous or unnecessary. Do you agree?

Pardon my ignorance but I seen to have misunderstood your use of the numbers 1), 2), which I assume refer to your notes at the bottom of your commentary? Taking a specific example ...

'Disktools pro, TechToolPro, DiskWarrior, all Drive Genius. 2)'

... does note 2) apply to all the foregoing 4 applications?

You also recommend I delete the WD software which includes the Dashboard application that enable me to setup my WD NAS, configure shares, enable remote access, set users, set access permissions, perform diagnostics and a long list of other important features necessary for the NAS's operation. If I delete this software I will have to replace it and that may prove easier said than done. I do share your concern about one application 'WD Quick View' which I have been suspicious of from the first day I installed it.

CMM! Where did you see this? Is this a reference to 'CleanMyMac"? If so, I have version 1.10.10.

There are a few applications I no longer use and should have uninstalled long ago. When I do a clean install they will disappear.

Regards Phil

Oct 18, 2014 1:25 PM in response to philharve

Your mac can be 4GB, of which 3GB can be accessed. This is 50% more than you have now.

But first solve all those software problems as i posted. Maybe the only difference with my recommendation is to keep using the WD Nas only.

CMM is CleanMaMac indeed. Version one is much more difficult to uninstall completely, than v2.

I have to travel now about a 1000 km by car, so I am in haste.

I will answer you tomorrow night. But maybe you have already organised the new install.

Lex

Oct 18, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex

I will investigate the RAM issue. As you say, 3 is better than 2 but not as good as 4GB.

My progress has been halted by another issue too. Access to my Billion Bipac 7800N Router had become unstable and access to the NAS, which is connected to the router, has steadily became more unreliable as the evening matured leading to a different kind of freeze. I traced the problem to the router. Its settings had been lost and I've had to restore them from a backup. We've had thunder & lightning here which always manages to scramble things. I think now I'm back were I started before this issue arose and backups are again progressing normally.

1000km my car! Hmm, that's a nice long drive. Whereabouts in the World do you live, Lex? A 1000km is just about the length of the United Kingdom, north to south.

Regards Phil

Oct 18, 2014 8:10 PM in response to philharve

Hi Lex

I have written to OWC wrt memory capacities for the older 17-inch Macbook Pro and I await their reply. I also visited the iFiXit website today and below is a relevant quote.

SOURCE: iFixit

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_17%22_Models_A1151_A1212_A1229_and_A12 61

"Memory: MacBook Pro 17" models can be equipped with varying amounts of RAM. The A1151 can be very easily upgraded to the maximum of 2 GB. The A1212 can accept 3 GB of RAM by using one 2 GB stick and one 1 GB stick. The A1229 can accept 6 GB of RAM by using a 4 GB stick and a 2 GB stick."

My 'MacBookPro1,2' is an A1151 model and therefore 2GB is its maximum RAM. I anticipate OWC will confirm this fact.

Regards Phil

time machine two backup progress panes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.