Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be synced. Error -54

hello everyone i have had this sync problem for a few months now, it hasnt really effected my uploading pictures and downloading music t and from my devices. i was hoping IOS 8 would solve all this. It is happening on both my iphone 5s and uipad air and now my iphone 6?

Its very confusing and i cannot seem to find th eanswer on the forums or from apple.

if you could point me in the right direction i would be very gatfu

iPhone 6, Windows 8

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 7:44 AM

14 replies

Oct 15, 2014 9:22 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

TThank you for your reply,bi only sync on device at a time. I did think about restoring etc but my iPhone is only a few weeks old so was restored from back up anyway. The ipad is older yes but this only started after a iTunes update. The second to last update of iTunes was when it started to give me the pop up error in iTunes. I have to

Oct 16, 2014 8:24 AM in response to tkdsouth

I would suggest that you remove all of the iTunes components and then reinstall them. Follow the steps in this support document exactly, as deviation can cause additional problems. Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Despite the fact that the phone is only a few weeks old, it still could require a restore. Make sure all of your data is backed up and you can try that, if after your remove and reinstall iTunes you still encounter problems.

Jul 13, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Johnny_U

Since you just joined the forum today, I wonder if you could explain your issues exactly, since the original post is getting close to a year old. Use this information on how to construct a good question, then someone may be able to provide you with some troubleshooting tips.

How to write a good question

To help other members answer your question, give as many details as you can.

• Include your product name and specs such as processor speed, memory, and storage capacity. Please do not include your Serial Number, IMEI, MEID, or other personal information.
  • Provide the version numbers of your operating system and relevant applications, for example "iOS 6.0.3" or "iPhoto 9.1.2".
  • Describe the problem, and include any details about what seems to cause it.
  • List any troubleshooting steps you've already tried, or temporary fixes you've discovered.

Aug 15, 2015 11:02 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

First off - we need some solutions to this sync issue which I've been getting for the last month.

I'm running with Windows 10 RTM on a Dell laptop

iPhone 6 has iOS 8.4.1

iTunes has 12.2.2.25

The problem seemed to have started after syncing my new iWatch to my iPhone

Now, I get the Unknown error -54 popping up at step 4 in the sync'n process.

No - I'm not going to fall for the solution - just uninstall everything and reinstall.

No - I'm not going to abandon my iPhone, iWatch and iTunes

I just need a fix.

Regards,

Bill

Oct 31, 2015 1:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Same issue here. "Error --54"

I have an iphone 6s, 64G

iOS: 9.1

iTunes: 12.3.1.23

Multiple issues:

itunes purchases would not synch on 6s, but did synch on ipad mini 3 and iphone 5

Same with tunes added to playlists

tried factory reset, as this fixed an issue with music not synching on iPad mini 3 when I first got it, then this issue started occurring

once reset, all apps on my home screen were there but blacked out and not useable

App store icon shows updates waiting, click into store, click on purchased, and screen is empty; badge still shows 8 waiting

After mutliple attempts at resetting and restoring from back up, most apps are now missing, except for factory-installed apps

Music library completely empty, will not synch

cannot sign into home sharing on iphone 6, i fill in the fields and just returns back to screen

Troubleshooting:

Factory reset with no success

Please help.

Thanks,

Sal

The iPhone "iPhone" cannot be synced. Error -54

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.