Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't leave a group chat/message

I've read that there are several stipulations to leaving a group message in the Messages app. All of the users have to be on and iPhone using iOS 8 or above, there must be 3 (or 4?) people included on the message... am I missing anything?

Either way, the message that I'm included on meets all of the above criteria. All of us are on iPhones running iOS 8 and there are 7 people included on the message. I have hit "Leave the Conversation" numerous times. It appears to work, going so far as showing "You left the conversation" on the chat timeline. However as soon as someone else sends a message to the group its like I never really left, I still get notifications. This is pretty frustrating. I've left one other group successfully, just can't seem to get out of this one.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 1:33 PM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2014 12:33 PM in response to razmee209

Like I mentioned in my post, everyone included on the message is using an iPhone on iOS 8+. There are 8 of us on the group message. I'm 100% certain of this info.

The "Leave this Conversation" button is available to me, not grayed out. I have tapped this on multiple occasions, confirmed that I do indeed want to leave the conversation and have received the "You left the conversation" notification but I STILL keep receiving them.

Oct 16, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Seth Brown

Seth Brown wrote:

Like I mentioned in my post, everyone included on the message is using an iPhone on iOS 8+. There are 8 of us on the group message. I'm 100% certain of this info.

The "Leave this Conversation" button is available to me, not grayed out. I have tapped this on multiple occasions, confirmed that I do indeed want to leave the conversation and have received the "You left the conversation" notification but I STILL keep receiving them.

I read your post and I understood what your saying.

I bolded the part if the group messages uses MMS.

The only thing I can think of is when you leave you get added back on by someone in that group message.

Can't leave a group chat/message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.