Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 not charging

When I try to charge my iphone 6, a message pops up saying "this cable or accessory is not compatatble and may not work reliably with this iphone" but its the original cable that came with the iphone. need some help as i am no longer able to use my Iphone 6?

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 15, 2014 2:48 PM

3 replies

Oct 17, 2014 6:37 AM in response to Tjapukai

Hi Tjapukai,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand that you're having an issue with charging your iPhone 6, where it will give you an error that “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.” First, make sure you are using the USB power adapter and cable that came with the phone, and have it plugged in to a functioning power outlet. Then please follow the steps below.

If you see an alert

When you plug in your device, you might see one of these alerts:

• “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.”
  • “This accessory is not supported by this device.”

If you see one of these alerts, unplug your device try and these steps:

1. Look at the connector at the bottom of your device and make sure it’s free of debris, then reconnect the USB cable.
  2. If you still see an alert, try a different USB cable or charger.

Get more help

If your device still doesn't charge or you still see an alert after trying the steps above, contact Apple Support.

If you can’t charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Take care,

Alex H.

Jul 28, 2015 4:13 PM in response to chuck_3rd

HI, I've been having the same problem on my iPhone 6 plus 128gb, since October 2014 till now July 28, 2015 and I've been on all the updates releases since that time, that tells me that it is a hardware issue with the charging port and Apple should warranty the phone when this problem occurs, for me it happens the most when i watch videos it keeps intrrupting the video with the pop up message without any cable hooked up to the phone extremely annoying!

Jul 28, 2015 6:21 PM in response to Tjapukai

There were some serious issues caused by off-brand cables and Apple was blamed. IOS-8 ensures that only approved cables will be used. However, it appears that it has been incorrectly identifying true Apple cables as non-approved!

If your cable is not Apple, your only option is to replace it with an Apple cable. If you do have an Apple cable, you need to contact Apple support - 800-275-2273 in the U.S.A. and I think Canada. If an Apple Store is convenient for you, a visit there is probably a better solution (there is no charge).

Iphone 6 not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.