Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 swollen battery

Hello all,

Definitely new to this. But I'm very worried about my iPhone 5. A little background: I purchased this phone around October 2012. Apparently its not included in the iPhone 5 battery replacement program, for whatever reason. But it is included in the sleep/wake button replacement program. What I'm having an issue with is the raised/lifted screen on the left side of the phone which used to be just close to the volume buttons, now extending all the way down. It is very noticeable when it used to be a hairline thin. Searching through google, I've found that some people think it might be due to swollen battery, or expanding battery that's lifting the screen and could be potentially dangerous. I don't really know what else could be the cause of the screen to be that way since I have not dropped this phone in the 2 years that I've had it. The reason why I think it may be the battery is because the location of the battery is the left side and could be the explanation of why the screen is bulging out. Ive read through apple community that apple has a replacement program for swollen batteries at no cost to consumers. How true is this? Any suggestions as to what I could do? Thanks for all your help in advance. 🙂

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 2:30 AM

10 replies

Oct 18, 2014 9:27 AM in response to iamdaonlyone

UPDATE:

I called apple support. Explained to them my dilemma and emphasized that this situation seems dangerous. I was transferred to a senior advisor and he asked me several questions regarding my phone, then made an appointment for me to see the genius bar the next day. I went to the genius bar, they ran diagnostics, checked out my phone and told me they were going to replace it at no cost. They replaced my phone and I was out of there in no more than 15 mins. Thanks apple!

Oct 18, 2014 10:38 AM in response to iamdaonlyone

That's great! You did even better than I did. Too bad there isn't a consistency though. They offered to replace my 5 today with one at 340$ minus the cost of the screen replacement they were going to give me for free. I had to go back today because when I got home from having my battery replaced I noticed a halo around the perimeter of the screen, most noticeable when the screen was displaying white. Also several black dots on the LCD. Went back today and they offered the new phone for the reduced price. Overall I'm still happy, being a year away from an upgrade while owning a brand new phone is nice.

Here are what they called dead pixels. Most look like dust to me but I don't know how dust could have happened. Pressure from the expanding battery must have damaged the screen from behind.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 25, 2014 2:13 AM in response to dcnhfx

Why didn't they replace your phone? They just replaced the battery?

Anyways, after I got my new phone I tried to restore my backup, its been saying "iTunes cannot restore because the backup may be corrupt or not compatible." So it *****, I'm still trying to figure out a way to get all my data back. Apple isn't much help.

Also, now there's a small glitch on my new phone. Seems to be randomly flashing or blinking at random times. For example when viewing one picture to the next, or closing a text and going to the next text message, or simply going to the home page, etc. Its very subtle. So if you're not really paying attention, you won't notice it.

Oct 25, 2014 5:30 AM in response to iamdaonlyone

I got it replaced just not for free. Was hoping that with cam messed up and screen screwy due to fault other than my own they'd do it. It wound up costing me $160 for a new unlocked phone to replace my 2 year old, out of warranty, non apple care-ed device. So I left happy given the fact that they took the price of the screen (which would have been replaced for free) off the price of the new phone. If it had been +$200 I might have been left feeing cranky but I thought that was a fair price considering.

Dec 15, 2014 8:04 AM in response to iamdaonlyone

I got my phone about 2 years ago and I noticed my screen started lifting in one corner. Then, eventually the whole screen lifted from the phone. When I went to the Apple store at Yorkdale mall I received horrible service. They didn't want to help and told me I probably dropped the phone or someone else dropped the phone when I wasnt looking, which was not true. I tried a different Apple store and they were great. They looked at my phone and said that the battery was swollen and even though I was out of warranty and not eligible for the battery replacement program, it should still be covered. They even replaced my screen because they noticed that the pressure from the battery was causing damage. So, I got my battery replaced and my screen replaced for free. they repaired it in-store within an hour and a half.

Jul 14, 2015 8:02 PM in response to iamdaonlyone

Same here, iPhone 5 bought 1 Oct 2012, not eligible for the battery recall. Screen started lifting off the phone in the top left hand corner where the volume buttons are. Took it to the Genius Bar today, at first the Genius said it wasn't the battery as the logic board, not the battery, was under my raised screen. He said I needed a new screen for $129 dollars but I persisted, he checked out back and eventually came back and said yes, swollen battery, free replacement of whole phone. Very pleased to have a safe phone again, top service to get a new replacement almost 2yrs after the warranty expired.

Iphone 5 swollen battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.