Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5k and using a second monitor with it - resolution

As a main computer, could I use an iMac 5k at full 5k resolution, and then as a second monitor, use a thunderbolt display at it's native resolution (2560 x 1440)? Or would I have to turn down the resolution on the iMac 5k to the same resolution that the thunderbolt monitor is at (2560 x 1440).

iMac

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 8:44 AM

Hello AlphazBet,

For the iMac with Retina 5K display, it can support its native display of 5120 by 2880 pixels and still support an additional monitor of up to 3840 by 2160 pixels. So for what you are asking it will support that monitor without any compromise in the main screen's resolution.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) - Technical Specifications

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP707

Regards,

-Norm G.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 8:44 AM in response to AlphazBet

Hello AlphazBet,

For the iMac with Retina 5K display, it can support its native display of 5120 by 2880 pixels and still support an additional monitor of up to 3840 by 2160 pixels. So for what you are asking it will support that monitor without any compromise in the main screen's resolution.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) - Technical Specifications

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP707

Regards,

-Norm G.

Nov 1, 2014 4:34 PM in response to norm123

Hey norm123,

I just got my imac 5k and have it connected to my late 2009 imac using thunderbolt cable. My understanding is the late 2009 imac is a mini display port and is compatible with the cable. I am trying to use the 2009 imac as a second screen to my 5k imac, but I am having trouble with how to switch the late imac into second screen mode. Another site said to hit command and F2 but that doesn't do it. Any suggestions? I really would like to complete this set up.

Thanks

Feb 22, 2015 7:37 AM in response to Rob Gendreau

Hello, I just came across this post, as I just purchased a new iMac retina 27 inch. I am trying to use my late 2009 iMac as a second display using a mini display port. I can get it to work my old second monitor, but when I try the 2009 mac, and I press command F2, it shows the options to set up as a second monitor on the new retina mac but then after a few seconds the options disappear and they go back to being separate monitors. Just wondering if anyone has been able to make this work as I'd hate to have to sell my 2009 mac. Thanks in advance.

Oct 25, 2016 6:28 PM in response to sean560

I am battling the same issue, except that my computers are late 2015 iMac Retina 5K as a main computer, and I am trying to connect late 2013 iMac. I used thunderbolt to thunderbolt connection & Command-F2 (Command-Fn-F2), but I get no sign that they are talking to each other. A note on apple website says that 2013 iMac should still have/support Target Display Mode, so technically it should be possible, but I am not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Connecting an old & small hp monitor to either iMac works, but two of them via thunderbolt cable does not do anything.

Did anyone figure this out?

iMac 5k and using a second monitor with it - resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.