Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apostrophe problem in the Mail app

When I use apostrophe in the mail app, it automatically changes ' to ’. I have found this problem from the 1st Yosemite public beta, I still have the problem after updating to the official release. I didn't have this problem when using 10.9. I checked my girlfriend's computer running the same version as mine, but hers was fine. Anyone know why this is happening? Thanks.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 10:24 PM

Turn off "Use Smart Quotes" in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text.

12 replies

Oct 22, 2014 12:24 AM in response to jasonzhu225

Jasonzhu, which font were you using? I've had a similar problem with apostrophes in Mail in Yosemite, but it caused the text to "Retuen to the next line. I just followed the advice given you: Turn off "Use Smart Quotes" in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text and now the apostrophe problem has gone.

I've tried replicating the problem using plain text and then returning to rich text but it seems to have been fixed. I've even quit from Mail and reloaded and it's still good.

That's made even the more puzzling as I've turned "Use Smart Quotes" back on and the problem has NOT returned. What is the root cause of this happening, does anyone know?

Nov 4, 2014 7:27 AM in response to jasonzhu225

Thank you Jayne.

I've had no recurrence of this since switching off Smart Quotes. Until then I had tried a range of fonts and it still persisted. Here is my reply that I made on another forum:

"I followed the advice given: Turn off "Use Smart Quotes" in System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text and now the apostrophe problem has gone.

I've tried replicating the problem using plain text and then returning to rich text but it seems to have been fixed. I've even quit from Mail and reloaded and it's still good.

That's made this even the more puzzling as I've turned "Use Smart Quotes" back on and the problem has NOT returned."

There's a bug somewhere but at the moment it has not recurred.

Reg

Nov 16, 2014 8:53 AM in response to rwhitely

Thank you, William Kucharski! This has been driving me crazy for weeks. Turning off "Use Smart Quotes" fixed it. (If I turn it back on, btw, the problem comes back.)

I also wondered if the problem might be specific to Futura 13, my default font, but it's not -- it happens no matter which font I use, and no matter whether rich text or plain text is selected in the "compose" pane of the Mail preferences. I even borrowed a friend's keyboard to see if that was the problem! The only thing that solves it is turning off "Use Smart Quotes."

I'm almost certain this was brought on by Yosemite ... the travails of early adoption!

Jan 15, 2015 12:25 PM in response to rwhitely

This is the most bizarre thing. Seems like it just started in the past two days where my apostrophe would cause cursor to jump to next line — I'm wondering if any of the people experiencing this problem use Launch Bar or Keyboard Maestro? I've got both of those activated, but haven't tested. Will use the smart quote off and on trick and see if it goes away.

Crazy, I thought I was typing wrong or sitting wrong. Glad to have found it's not me 😉

Apostrophe problem in the Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.