Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6 touchscreen constantly stops responding when I cover proximity sensor

This happens a LOT. Usually if I do something like lock the phone/unlock it again it'll go away for a while but it comes back.

I'll be browsing safari for example in landscape mode and it just won't respond to my touches until I move my left hand away and don't cover the proximity sensor. Is this a hardware or software issue?

iPhone 6, iOS 8, 128GB

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 5:45 PM

10 replies

Oct 16, 2014 6:14 PM in response to asdf2342341

The proximity sensor is designed to lock out all touch functions when you hold the iPhone to your face so you won't accidentally hang up the call, push buttons, etc. When you cover it with your finger it locks out the functions on the screen which is exactly what it is designed to do. Don't cover the sensor with your finger.

Oct 18, 2014 10:33 AM in response to asdf2342341

I have this exact same problem with my 6 Plus it is extremely annoying. If its to prevent pressing buttons in call then only have this freezing action be during a call.. poorly designed. If I want to type on a phone if this size I have to wrap my hand around the sides.. which covers the sensor.. really no real way to hold the phone conveiniently in landscape.. very poor design. It should at least be allowed to be disabled or enabled only for apps that it might actually, I don't know, apply to! (Like the phone app)

hoping for a fix to this soon as it is a major issue for me as well.

Oct 19, 2014 8:45 PM in response to deggie

Well your replies have been belligerently unhelpful, not to mention extremely condescending. I've been having the same problem with my 5c since I updated to IOS 8.0.2 and it is a massive flaw. I basically can't use my phone on landscape mode because then my hand covers the sensor. The sensor should not disable touch screen function unless you're making a phone call, as has been the case with every single previous iPhone and software version. It's ridiculous and unbelievably inconvenient.

Feb 22, 2015 5:37 AM in response to Nnenne

Nnenne wrote:

There are 4 things you can do if it's a software issue; restart, reset, restore from backup, restore as new. If none of that helps then make an appointment either at an Apple store or an Authorized Apple Service Provider and have the phone examined for possible hardware issues.

Restart or reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Back up and restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

My iPhone 6 touchscreen constantly stops responding when I cover proximity sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.