Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded Yosemite but it will not install on Macintosh HD as it says it is used for Time Machine Backups but it is not. TM backup is to an external 2TB HD. Downloaded OX x twice with the same result.

Downloaded Yosemite but it will not install on Macintosh HD as it says it is used for Time Machine Backups but it is not. TM backup is to an external 2TB HD. Downloaded OX X twice with the same result.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2), 1TB Time capsule, 2TB WD MyBook

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:10 PM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2014 8:44 PM in response to John Galt

I eventually thought to check the Macintosh HD to see if there was a backup file saved there. Somehow there was a single backup from almost 2 years ago on the drive. The software install program saw the file and that is why it would not proceed with the install on that drive. Once I deleted the file and restarted the OS X Yosemite install the process worked flawlessly. I have actually replied to your post from my newly installed Yosemite. Thanks.

Downloaded Yosemite but it will not install on Macintosh HD as it says it is used for Time Machine Backups but it is not. TM backup is to an external 2TB HD. Downloaded OX x twice with the same result.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.