Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java SE 6 on Yosemite?

I just updated my mac to Yosemite and the following message keeps popping up "To open 'this Java application' you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." No matter if I click "ok" or "More Info..." (the only two options) it keeps coming up. Is there some way I can find out what app is triggering the message or fix the issue?

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:33 PM

Java 8 is the recommended version for Yosemite: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.h tml

Choose this one:

User uploaded file

204 replies

Oct 17, 2014 6:38 PM in response to euiseok

Java8 and Apple Java SE 6 are installed in two different places. You will have to either remove Java SE6, or "link" (Unix links) to the Oracle Java8, once it is installed.

For example this machine has no Java installed (it only has the Apple Java SE6 skeleton, there is no JRE/JDK), and redirects to Oracle Java

type java

java is /usr/bin/java

ls -ld /usr/bin/java

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 74 Sep 11 15:40 /usr/bin/java -> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/java

ls /System/Library/Frameworks/

Display all 126 possibilities? (y or n)

ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/

Frameworks/ JavaVM Resources/ Versions/ module.map

ls /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/

A Current

ls -l /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/Java

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 50160 Aug 8 09:00 /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current/Commands/Java

Oct 18, 2014 5:01 AM in response to Loner T

Okay ...if you are not a Developer, but just love your Mac ...How do you get this dumb popup to STOP? When I look at the Oracle Page I can easily see the one that Lanny says to download, but before I do I am wondering what the one below it means? After I get brave enough to download the circled one, then I have zero idea how I am going to "remove the SE 6 or Link to..."

Oct 18, 2014 8:12 AM in response to WiseJD

After Java8 is installed verify that the following file exists (notice the space between "Internet" and "Plug-Ins"). You can do this via Finder.

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

This is what I currently have on my machine...

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 73 Jul 14 21:49 /usr/bin/java -> /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

To do this, in OSX terminal

1. sudo rm /usr/bin/java

2. sudo ln -s /usr/bin/java /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

3. Check that you get the version correctly.

java -version

java version "1.7.0_67"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_67-b01)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

3. Test other applications.

Oct 18, 2014 11:37 AM in response to GreenNetizen

Oops spoke to soon. It still wants an update.

I think what you have to do is install 8 and then do the Java 8 Update 25 (8u25). "If" I'm reading this correctly, the 8u20 has a bug and the 8u25 fixed it.

Here is what the notes say and the link:

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/mac_10_10.xml

How do I install Java on Mac OS X 10.10?

This article applies to:

• Platform(s): Macintosh OS X
  • Java version(s): 7.0, 8.0

Starting with Java 8 Update 25 (8u25), download and install Java 8 from java.com. A bug was fixed in 8u20 which had prevented the installation of prior releases of Java on Mac OS X 10.10. If you need to install Java 7 for Mac 10.10, you can get the latest Java 7 version from java.com. A bug was fixed in 7u71 which prevented the installation of Java 7 on Mac OS X 10.10.

You might also be interested in:

Oct 18, 2014 12:45 PM in response to doughboy04690

OK, I'm pretty new to the board so I appoligize if I'm getting mixed up.

Anway, I tried the update Java 8 - and neither worked. I still go the message;

the Java 8 (8u20) and the Java 8 (8u25) Neither worked.

Kept reading posts on the board and found one that said go back to an earlier version.

Java for OS X 2014-001

which I did and it seems to be working find for now.

I also read that downloading an upsupported version could be ricky. ( but I would assume that anything 2014 was still on many machines because many people are waiting a few months before they try Yosemite, which I ususally do but for some reason, I thought I'd go first this time. So if anyone else is having this problem and finds a better solution, please share.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Oct 18, 2014 1:04 PM in response to GreenNetizen

Do you have the Java Control Panel in System Preferences? If yes, run Update and get the latest of Java 7 or Java 8 that you need.

Once you have Oracle Java completely installed, then the link should be created which should cover all Java needs. If you still get a Java SE6 pop-up, you have an application that is not honoring Java installation on your machine.

If you get messages like, then Java is not configured correctly.

sudo find / -name java -print -exec {} -version \; | more

find: /dev/fd/3: Not a directory

find: /dev/fd/4: Not a directory

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Commands/java

No Java runtime present, requesting install.

/usr/bin/java

No Java runtime present, requesting install.

Java SE 6 on Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.