Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

View options in iTunes 12 - window won't display

When I choose "View Options", nothing seems to occur. The menu selection is not greyed out, it just doesn't seem to have any functionality when you select it.

Occasionally when I click elsewhere, I'll see a brief flash, as if something had popped up, but only significantly delayed and not long enough to figure out what happened.

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 7:19 PM

20 replies

Oct 20, 2014 7:27 AM in response to gar1013

The missing view options briefly befuddled me as well. It's a bug in that the option should be grayed out unless you're in an area where the options can be applied. If you're in the iTunes store looking at movies, for example, there are no "view options" and selecting the menu item will do nothing (it should be gray). If you're in "My Music" looking at your collection, you have view options and selecting the menu item will pop open the view options (which are top right, just below the search). Hope that helps.

Oct 21, 2014 12:38 PM in response to KBeat

I listen to my iPod through iTunes on my work computer (that is, the songs are on my iPod, not on my computer, but they play through iTunes - kind of like using an external hard drive). In the past I've been able to sort the songs on the iPod by opening "view options" and choosing which column to sort by (clicking on the columns does nothing while in this iPod-play mode). In iTunes 12 now, though, I have the same experience as above: I click on "view options" and nothing happens.

Nov 3, 2014 1:11 PM in response to jimfrog67

And to add to this, it is EXTREMELY annoying that you can't just click on the headings in the columns in the main view, to sort them by column ascending or descending. Why go though some arcane menu item (if and when it's working), when a much-more-intuitive and commonplace solution could be in place. We are all used to clicking on table, spreadsheets, search results, etc - should be the same here.

Nov 3, 2014 1:38 PM in response to KBeat

Isn't working for me. Mind you, I don't keep a music library on it (work computer, windoze 7). so may be part of it (or the root of the whole problem?) Like a previous post above, I play my music that's on my iPhone through iTunes and need to be able to sort my music on my device by album, so that the tracks get played in the correct order - classical and concept albums sound weird out of order!

Jul 5, 2015 3:05 PM in response to gar1013

As others have pointed out, if you select Playlists and create a playlist, you get a playlist with only two columns. If you go to Music in the playlist view you can set the column options in View. But these will apply to the songs in view not the playlists.

The simple secret is that the playlists will each have by default in the upper right corner a button saying "Playlist" showing. But if you click on that "Playlist" button and choose "Songs" you will get the columns that you have chosen in the Views: View Options.

Jul 6, 2015 7:54 PM in response to dwchandl

One of the columns that I use to depend on for my podcast playlist was release date. Because the view options is greyed out I can't sort the list. This makes it impossible to sort my podcasts in sequential order.

I spend an hour with the Genius bar at a local apple store. They believe this is a bug with itunes 12.2 and there doesn't seem to be a work around.

Very frustrating!

George Rachor

george@rachors.com

Jul 20, 2015 7:30 AM in response to rachorg

I found the replies here confusing until I figured it out myself. But the info is all in this thread;

By default now, when you create a new playlist it will be in "Playlist" sorting mode. As PherankH further up explained, just change this to "Songs" in the upper right corner and you'll have back your usual columns. Rightclick on any column to get the column selection list where you can add or remove more columns, like Sort By Release Date.

Took me an hour to figure out, **** update.

Awiro

View options in iTunes 12 - window won't display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.