Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite does not recognize external displays...

I just upgraded my Late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina 15" laptop. I have two 24" monitors plugged in via Display Port to Mini Display Port cables. These have been working great even with the Yosemite Beta 1/2. I reformatted since the betas as they were too buggy for my needs and have been using the external monitors without issue on Mavericks.

With today's launch of 10.10, I updated. Ever since the update, I've not had my displays turn on or even blink. When I plug the cables into the laptop, the screen blacks out and then comes back on as you would expect, but the external monitors do not.

I've tried:

• Unplugging all cables, plugging back in in all versions of orders
  • Restarted the MacBook with and w/o displays plugged in
  • Restarted the displays while and while not plugged in
  • Turned off the MacBook completely off with the cables plugged and not plugged in
  • Tried changing to various resolutions with/without monitors plugged in etc.

Puzzled... O_o

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:57 PM

124 replies

Mar 19, 2017 12:16 AM in response to z33k3r

I know I'm late to this thread but I reckon other people are still having this problem and I'd like to share how I resolved my issue. And very easily at that.

It was a simple case of poor electrical contact between the MiniDisplayPort adapter and the MBP Thunderbolt jack.

I took a dry, clean, new toothbrush and gently poked and swirled the bristles into the Thunderbolt jack on the MBP. Easy does it you don't need a jack hammer. ( Compressed air or electronic contact cleaner would be the more "professional" way but I had nothing to loose by trying the brush ).

Bingo - worked like a charm - all good now.

Oct 16, 2014 7:52 PM in response to z33k3r

Well, tried a third time (right?)... I unplugged everything from the laptop, minus the power adapter, turned off Bluetooth and did two consecutive cycles of PRAM/NVRAM resets and then SMC resets. Then I plugged in all of my devices back in one at a time, enabled Bluetooth etc. This seems to have fixed the issue.

Oct 17, 2014 5:56 PM in response to z33k3r

Since I updated my Macbook Pro retina late 2013 15" to Yosemite it hasn't been recognizing my screen when it is awoken from sleep modus. Also, when it awakes I don't have any sound on my external audio, I get the speaker with a stop sign.

My setup:

- I work with the lid closed and have one external display connected via HDMI

- I have an external stereo connected via 3.5 mm

- I work with an apple wireless keyboard and magic trackpad.

Problem:

When the MB is in sleep mode I can't get it to wake up using only the wireless keyboard or magic trackpad. I have to open the lid to get the external screen to work and than close the lid. After that I have to unplug the 3.5mm audio cable and plug it back in to have sound and be able to change my volume.

Not the biggest of problems, but it is quite annoying because it used to work fine in Mavericks!

Hope you guys can help, thanks in advance.

Oct 17, 2014 6:03 PM in response to z33k3r

I've got the same issue with my Late 2008 MacBook Pro 15". There is no signal to my Acer monitor. When I plug it into the mini-display port, my MacBook screen goes black and comes back as expected but there is still no signal to the Acer. Resetting the PRAM/NVRAM has not had an effect. I'm not sure if the SMC is getting reset. Everything was working fine with Mavericks.

Oct 20, 2014 1:25 PM in response to z33k3r

Anyone care to describe what connector you are using for your external monitor? I see that some have resolved without mentioning changing the connector, but my attempts to use the methods described have failed to resolve the issue. That leaves me wondering what other factors could be complicit and that boils down to the connector, the cable, and the monitor. The later two should be non-factors, but the connector could be an issue when you consider Apple's habit of making "non-compliant" connectors (3rd party Lightning anyone?) obsolete.

I'm using a Monoprice brand Mini DisplayPort to DVI connector on a MBP 17 Early 2009 to a Samsung SyncMaster 213T that has worked fine since Snow Leopard. I don't get any warnings that the connector is non-compliant. Oh, also, the Yosemite install sets the graphics card to the energy-saving option. I have switched to the high-performance card to no avail.

Oct 25, 2014 6:40 PM in response to z33k3r

I'm having the same problem. 2013 MBA, 13" display. Upgraded to Yosemite a couple days ago, haven't been able to get the external monitor to work since. I've reset the PRAM and the SMC. The external display is a Samsung LN46A650A1F. I'm connecting via Thunderbolt->HDMI. The adapter is manufactured by Monoprice.

I appreciate any help. Thanks,

Philip

Oct 25, 2014 7:05 PM in response to z33k3r

My problem is a bit different. My external monitor works just fine, but my MacBook Pro display does not turn off. The logo is lit and when I crack the lid the screen is on. I use this MBP as a desktop with a Thunderbolt display, it worked just fine before the update to .10, The beta on my other machine worked fine too, until it also was updated to .10...Any suggestions??

Oct 28, 2014 1:49 PM in response to z33k3r

Hello z33k3r

This discussion thread is really funny..

What cable you are using...what size monitors...restrating in safe mode, is irrelevant !

(Unplugging the power to the monitor!)

Look, if everything worked well before downloading YOSEMITE...and then it stopped working well after you downloaded Y0Semite...then the problem must be the...CABLE!

You can not fix this... only APPLE can.

Pls prove me wrong. I would like to eat some humble pie.

Peace.

--Marconi

Yosemite does not recognize external displays...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.