Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory kext

Hi,

Since update to 10.9.5 I have some troubles with image. all kind of squares blinking all over the desktop.

In Yosemite this issue become even worse. When I tried manually replace AMDRadeonX3000 to older one, glitches are gone, but it looks like QuarzExtreme turn off as well. Is there any known solution with "broken" kext?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 6:52 PM

12 replies

Oct 16, 2014 8:06 PM in response to dbaps3

Just did the upgrade and have the same issue with my 2010 Imac. Let's see how widespread this problem is for us.

I'm running OSX 10.10 on two monitors, an Imac and a 23" Apple HD Cinema. Both monitors are experiencing the same issue. Also the color tiles eventually covered the whole screen. The mouse also had the color squares right under to the right. What's interesting is the Imac slowed down and eventually almost stopped. It got to the point where the globe came up and would not go away. I had to do a hard reset. This is the first time I booted into OSX 10.10. I did an upgrade. Did you do an install from scratch? I'm going to try that next and see if it goes away.

Oct 17, 2014 12:07 AM in response to dbaps3

This issue bothered me for long period and I've decided to "tweak" different settings, which may affect rendering.

Issue fix (for me) has been found in unexpected place: Settings -> Accessibility -> Reduce transparency (select checkbox). Looks like they messed up in kext file with something, related to transparency rendering (OpenGL itself doesn't like transparent polygon and it always hit on performance).

Oct 17, 2014 7:13 PM in response to dbaps3

Okay, I did the fresh install and got the same problem. It appears that there is no driver files for the 5000 series. They have 2000, 3000, and 4000. There is also one file that does not have a model series in the file name.

I took some screenshots of what I found...

I do get a video error now and it reports the problem to Apple.

Should I open a case with Apple?

Oct 18, 2014 3:13 AM in response to dbaps3

Mine use 3000s series.

It will be great, if you fill request, because I unsure where I can do it.

P.S. After another freezing of the back image (mouse still moved around) and reboot with power button, Yosemite told me that I have graphics problem and suggested to send report (it was first time, because Mavericks didn't react on such issues).

Nov 1, 2014 9:12 PM in response to parfmoon

Hi,

I'm not expecting a direct reply. I submitted the issue to Apple. The only thing I have to add is that there is no 5000 series of file is Mavericks either. Since I rebuilt my iMac last year with Mavericks, and did not have this issue, support for the 5000 series of video cards must be maintained by some other file we do not recognize. It could be the two files that do not have a model series in the file name.

I'm not sure where to go from here, other than to suggest reinstalling Mavericks. There is no guarantee we will get a response or a solution any time soon.

Paul

ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory kext

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.