Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12 can't delete artwork

I'm trying to update my library and it's not letting me clear my album artwork or delete it manually. I tried pressing backspace like someone else suggested but it doesn't work until I go into Google or something and find the correct album artwork, paste it onto the album, then delete the old picture in the gallery. Any fixes on this yet?

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 7:39 PM

62 replies

Jun 29, 2017 7:58 PM in response to cphill11

The problem I found was unexpected... Under Options "media kind" was set to "mixed". 😕

Fixed by...

Right click on the album artwork and select "Get Info". Then confirm that you want to "Edit Items". Go to the "Options" tab along the top. Make sure your (media kind) is selected to "Music". If not, correct this and then look for any weird song in the album that don't belong. Delete any problem song and you should finally be able to change the artwork as normal...

Oct 19, 2014 12:09 AM in response to cphill11

To delete artwork from multiple songs:
1. Highlight all of the songs.
2. Right-click and left-click Get Info.
3. At the top where you have the box for the artwork, click on it and it should become highlighted with a blue border.
4. Once highlighted, press delete on the keyboard. Whatever image is shown will now turn into a grey box.
5. Click OK and the artwork will be removed from the selected songs.
To paste any image from the Get Info window:
1. Click on the Artwork menu.
2. On the top left, click the box next to the Album Title/Song Title. Once selected it will be highlighted with a blue border.
3. Ctrl+V will paste the image and you'll see the larger image below the highlighted box.
4. Click OK to save.
Alternatively:
You can skip step 2 and just hit Ctrl+V while in the Artwork pane. Click OK to Save. Saves some time. 🙂
Hope this helps!

Oct 19, 2014 8:14 AM in response to cphill11

I cannot highlight my album artwork....so it will NOT allow you to delete, copy, or paste in this new iTunes version. I can only add new artwork, then I have to keep multiple images. The only way to show my new/updated art I just added is to touch and drag to first position. Again, it will NOT truly highlight (with blue around it like is posted here). FYI, using a windows operating system PC.

Oct 19, 2014 8:19 AM in response to Turbogame

I cannot highlight my album artwork....so it will NOT allow you to delete, copy, or paste in this new iTunes version. I can only add new artwork, then I have to keep multiple images. The only way to show my new/updated art I just added is to touch and drag to first position. Again, it will NOT truly highlight (with blue around it like is posted here). FYI, using a windows operating system PC and just installed the ver 12 update today 10-19-14. Ctrl C nor Ctrl V works. Any other ideas?

Oct 19, 2014 8:20 AM in response to Who The Hell Is Elle

I cannot highlight my album artwork....so it will NOT allow you to delete, copy, or paste in this new iTunes version. I can only add new artwork, then I have to keep multiple images. The only way to show my new/updated art I just added is to touch and drag to first position. Again, it will NOT truly highlight (with blue around it like is posted here). FYI, using a windows operating system PC and just installed the ver 12 update today 10-19-14. Ctrl C nor Ctrl V works. Any other ideas?

Oct 20, 2014 6:05 AM in response to cryosx

None of this works for the new version (12.0.1.26)! I have used most these methods in the past, but with this latest version of iTunes (the one with the red icon) none of these methods work. The issue is you cannot highlight the artwork. you can grab it and move it all around (I even tried dragging it to the recycle bin, but you cannot highlight it.

The whole thing is screwy now. It hides half your info fields and you have to add them back (FOR EVERY TRACK!). What's wrong with the way things were? Everything worked fine. No one is ever satisfied with what they have. They are always changing things...SMH

iTunes 12 can't delete artwork

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.