Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When installing Yosemite, received error "File system verify or repair failed"

When insalling Yosemite following download, I received an error stating "File system verify or repair failed". I rebooted, held command/R to enter disk utility in order to repair the disk, however the repair failed. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 7:25 PM

59 replies

Oct 16, 2014 10:57 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

EEverything working fine for me until I was going through install of Yosemite and get that same message

os x could not be installed on your computer

file system verify or repair failed

quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

i do all this and it restarts, looks like installing and boom this message pops up over and over and over

can I get back to mavericks now somehow? I'm green, first Mac, 27 inch had less than two years

Oct 17, 2014 1:38 AM in response to TURANSU

i was able to reboot on mavericks when quit the Yosemite updater.✅ ....

(sorry for my english)

Now i back up my files...

after that, i will try to reboot , cmd+R and repair my hard drive with "mavericks disk repair tool" if available...

now i can see error on my disk when i launch disk utilities... but he was not unable to repair with the "Yosemite disk utilities" so i will try with "mavericks session " to see what will happend...

Oct 17, 2014 2:23 PM in response to Alex.halarides

I Have the same issue here, some posts suggest that there is no enough space on the hard drive. However, I'm trying to get back to my hd disk to boot to my dssktop, unfortunately I couldnt, now I need only to know how to eject the installing drive and reboot using my old drive.

also I tried to do something useful with terminal that provided in recovery mode, but also I'm not good in this too.

dont know what to do 😐

Oct 18, 2014 12:33 AM in response to Alex.halarides

Had the same problem on a MBP 17 (early 2009).

Long story short. I used the ORIGINAL installer CD to boot to Disk Utility and REPAIR Permissions an Disk. Had to reboot several times (holding C down) until the HD was recognized and Disk Utility allowed me to "repair" it (REPAIR was disabled previously).

Once I was able to REPAIR the disk I rebooted normally and was able to log in back into Maverick. Now doing one more BACKUP before attempting to install Yosemite again.

Useful link: http://african-heart.blogspot.com/2010/07/fixing-invalid-node-structure-in-mac.h tml?showComment=1365269696276#c4328371437324677074

Oct 18, 2014 6:17 AM in response to dschmunis

I'm having the same issue on an early 2011 MBP

Tried to install Yosemite, failed to verify or repair disk

reboot in command R mode. Brings up disk utility

says something about file system error 8 when I check the disk

the disk contains 2 partitions the os x base and an os x esd install disk

both individually pass the disk utility verify - but the physical disk containing them does not

everything worked fine under mavericks

this is is a huge time suck. I use macs because they "just work"

now im going to spend hours restoring

this is on top of iOS 8.0.1 which hosed my phone a couple weeks ago

If anyone has a better solution than restoring - please let me know

Oct 18, 2014 12:19 PM in response to Alex.halarides

This what I am getting. Trying to install since Thursday. I reformatted the SSD (third party) but getting stuck just after installation starts. Tried clean install, and still getting the same error. Tried with Mountain Lion (for some reason when I restore from Time Machine, it did not showed Mavericks to re-install) not as a clean install, and nothing. Now I going to load Mavericks and see if from there I can install Yosimite. This is so annoying. I never had any issues in the past. I actually installed the Beta Yosimite without any issues. Thanks!

User uploaded file

When installing Yosemite, received error "File system verify or repair failed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.