Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS to Mac continuity is not functional

I can use continuity between my iOS devices but cannot do so from iOS to OS X. Everything I've read says a new little icon will pop up next to the dock but it hasn't happened for me. I've checked using mail, safari, messages, but nothing. Every device has bluetooth turned on and continuity is enabled also. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 7:37 PM

14 replies

Oct 16, 2014 8:37 PM in response to J-Lew

Same issue here. I can use Handoff from my rMBP to my iPhone 6, but not the other way around. I can also Airdrop from my laptop to my phone, but not from my phone to my laptop (my computer never shows up).

Both on the same network, both logged into iCloud, and both have Bluetooth on. I even did a fresh install of Yosemite in case something got messed up in the upgrade, but it didn't fix the issue.

Oct 17, 2014 5:13 AM in response to pberk

A "kind of same" issue here:

I am running:

iMac 27'' late 2012

iPhone 5

iPad Air

Considerations:

Both devices are on the same network

Both devices have bluetooth enabled

Both devices have the same iCloud account.

Both devices have been signed out and back in to iCloud.

Handoff is enabled in General Settings under system preferences

Facetime is set up to make and receive cellular phone calls.

Airdrop is fully functional between three devices

The hand off is working in every device, all the phone calls are shown and can be answered in every device BUT, when using the continuity feature the thing is weird:

· if I open mail, pages... on my iPhone, it will show at the dock of the iMac and at the blocked screen of the iPad the pertinent icon also appears,

· But if I open the an app on my iPad Air, or iMac it WILL NOT SHOW the icon at the blocked screen of the iPhone!

Any Ideas, please?

Oct 17, 2014 5:22 AM in response to fxdr

Ok, i got mine up and running. Here's what I did:

1. Log out of iCloud

2. Restart all devices

3. Log back in to iCloud using the same account on all devices.

4. On your Mac: open FaceTime. For some reason my Mac did not know that my iPhone was my iPhone. Make sure, that your iPhone phone number is listed in your personal information on your Mac. After opening and logging in to FaceTime I was able to share stuff between my Mac and iPhone. For Handoff, all I needed to do was switching Bluetooth off and back on again on all devices.

Oct 17, 2014 5:25 AM in response to J-Lew

I had trouble as well for quite awhile and tried everything I could think of including logging out of iCloud from both devices and logging back in. However, I didn't get it to work until I fully powered down my iPhone, turned off bluetooth on my Mac, let it sit a few minutes, then turned on bluetooth on the Mac first and then restarted my iPhone. After a couple of minutes, it started working.

Oct 18, 2014 11:06 PM in response to fxdr

I've the same problem as fxdr, on my MacBookPro Retina 13" early 2013.

Main problem is that Continuity works from iOS devices (iPad Air & iPhone 5s) to MBP but not in opposite way.

I already tried to log off and back on in iCloud on all devices, as suggested here by Chris (this topic was one of the first resources I found) without definitive results. On the contrary, it seemed to give me some problems (now vanished) between iOS devices, as they stopped working too. doing it again fixed it

Some more details:

1) both iOS devices work like a charm with my iMac late 2012: first tests were with MBP because I had the chance to update it first.

2) both iOS devices work like a charm with the MBP IF I USE Yosemite BETA that I've installed on an external USB disk. It worked before official release and still works (again tested few hours ago)

3) sometimes, on "normal" MBP, on its own, it starts work or stops without any advice, or works with iPhone but not with iPad or viceversa.

4) It seemed to work when I deactivated FileVault on MBP (Yosemite setup asked for it to activate on first start, while it didn't on iMac, and so I did) but, after some time, it started again to give problems.

5) when I power on MBP with "normal" disk and Yosemite official, if it works, it's not immediate. It starts working after 10-15 minutes. With USB disk and Beta, it's immediate

6) for example, now, with battery at 14% it works from iOS device to MBP only with both devices in both ways, but 30 minutes ago, it didn't in both ways. Powered up iMac and everything works in a flash.

Now, I'm waiting for a call from Apple support. Then, if I can't find a solution, I'll try a recovery. Any suggestions?

Jan 11, 2015 7:22 PM in response to catmankee

Hey all, I have a similar problem that i'm trying to solve, I had my iPhone 5 iOS 8.1.2 and late 2013 rmbp 10.10.1 setup to forward calls and text messages and everything was great until today. the two devices quit communicating the options on the iPhone that are supposed to show up, and did show up when i initially connected the two devices are gone. I've tried logging in/out of iCloud on both devices resetting pam on the macbook pro and hard booting the iPhone to clear memory without any change. What's odd is iCloud functions on both devices, my network setup hasn't changed i cloud recognizes both devices are logged in and it's the same network, however the iPhone and mac have decided to quit talking to one another. If anyone has any ideas beyond what's be posted here i'm waiting to hear.

Thanks

iOS to Mac continuity is not functional

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.