Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tried to Upgrade to Yosemite - Mac Got Locked! - HELP!!!

Today I tried to upgrade my late 2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina from Mavericks to Yosemite. After launching the installation, the computer restarted and within 30 seconds it displayed a screen asking for a four-character password and the following message "Enter your system lock PIN code to unlock this Mac."! I cannot bypass this screen and I have no clue what this password might bemas I never set one.

I called Apple Canada and was with them for four hours on the phone. No result other than the fact that my computer appears to be iCloud locked. I only remember experimenting and trying to lock it once through my iClold account 6-8 months ago and the procedure had no effect on the Mac at that time (although it locked my iPnone and iPad). The Apple guy thinks that that the very old command might have activated now. But how do I unlock it my computer now?

On the phone, Apple advised me to go to an Apple Store to see the Genius Bar. But the earliest appointments are available on Wednesday next week and Saturday I need to fly to the UK on business for a week and all my work files and presentations I need to make are on the locked computer.

What has Apple done to my computer? How could they lock me like this out of my data? Please let me know what do I have to do to recover access to my computer and data as soon as possible?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), I7 2.6 GHz, 16 GB, 1 TB

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 9:06 PM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:07 PM in response to Michael9009

I did the same thing, I realised what I did wrong after it was too late and ended up with the 'white no entry sign' on the black screen.

I did manage to sort it, but because the solution happened so fast, I can't recall the exact details, but here is a general guide: Please read all of this before following the sequence I went through.

After much messing around searching the net on another machine and getting nowhere I decided to do a re-install the system. I started the Mac holding down Command-R. I then opted to re-install the software thinking that I was going to lose everything. I clicked on the Install button and it would not let me re-install the system because the drive was locked. This turned out to be an amazing stroke of luck.

I then went to Time Machine out of curiosity more than anything else, and this is where I can't remember exactly what happened. I think I went to see if there were any backup, knowing there was not! but it gave me the option to 'unlock' the drive. I did this, immediately shutdown and re-started and I was then able to get back in as normal. I then went straight into Filevault and made sure that it was switched off.

I hope that helps.

Oct 19, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Michael9009

I was able to get a Genius Bar emergency appointment on Friday at an Apple Store in Toronto and they fixed my MacBook Pro within two hours. Indeed, it was the lock command that I had sent back in March that locked my computer only now, after seven months from issuing the command. Weird.

This is what they had to do to unlock the computer and only an Apple Store or an Apple authorized service centre could do this procedure: http://www.ernieflores.net/osx-page-5/recovering-a-lost-firmware-password/.

Excellent security at Apple! 🙂

MIchael

Tried to Upgrade to Yosemite - Mac Got Locked! - HELP!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.