Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Text Annotation

It seems that the flow of adding text annotations to pdf files on preview has changed on Yosemite. Instead of allowing the user to place a text box with the cursor and then begin editing, the behavior has been updated with placing the textbox automatically. I can't seem to find any options to change this behavior to the way that it was back in OSX Mavericks, but does anyone know of a workaround?

Thanks.

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 8:39 PM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2014 11:39 AM in response to j33f

It seems like a minor issue, but it's very annoying when you gotta add a lot of annotations to an image/pdf.

Also, It's not the only problem: When adding a new line of text, instead of adding a line under the first, and keeping the first line at its proper place, the text box will center vertically, moving the 1st line up and the new line down.. In essence, it's impossible to do multi-line annotations and keeping things aligned.

Also, preview would show a yellow line and snap your text vertically or horizontally to keep things precisely aligned. That feature is gone.

Why would they go to the trouble of REMOVING features that worked well before?

Oct 20, 2014 3:04 PM in response to j33f

I miss how the annotations used to work in the previous version of Preview!

I'm definitely not a fan of how the text box and note defaults to the center of the page. It's also very cumbersome having to continuously go to the toolbar to select text and note to get another text box or note to appear - and then having to move it from the center of the page to where I want it to be. I appreciated the older version where I was able to just click where I wanted the text box or note to appear and also being able to select text or note once and being able to just click with my cursor in multiple parts of the page to annotate. This was a lifesaver taking notes in class - now I'm missing half my notes because I have to constantly move the boxes. Very frustrating!

I used to also be able to just use command + and command - to make my text smaller or bigger in the text box - now it just zooms in and out of the page.

Preview used to be my highly recommended choice for annotating - but it's not as efficient anymore.

Preview Text Annotation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.