Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite install fails: "not enough free space in the Core Storage Logical Volume Group for this operation"

This is on a Mac Mini, running Mavericks, with a fusion drive (1TB/128GB), and 85GB free space.

Any ideas?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 9:27 PM

19 replies

Oct 18, 2014 8:38 AM in response to geekraver

Hi everybody,

I had the same error, but was not as lucky as you guys... After rebooting, I got on the login screen, and as soon as the desktop is showing up, the system crashes. Hopefully ma time capsule is there. Still 1h30 to finish the restoring of mavericks... No problem on my macbook air, so I guess the fusion drive with a third party ssd is the cause of the issue ?

Oct 18, 2014 9:06 AM in response to rwaesely

Just to be clear, I didn't "Reboot" when I received the message. There was a button on the screen with the message, the button was labeled "Restart". I pressed that and the installation screen reappeared and continued its countdown to finishing the install. As far as I can tell (so far) the install completed successfully.

My Fusion drive is "home made" but I don't think it's any different than one that came directly from Apple. It's a 256 gb ssd paired with the original 500 gb drive that came with my MacMini.

Oct 19, 2014 1:20 PM in response to geekraver

I too experienced the Low Disk space event… I hit the restart button and the install started again… I thought I got caught in a loop.

On the third time seeing the crawl bar for the Yosemite install I hit the Power Button and force killed the whole process.

Upon rebooting I saw horizontal black and white bars across the screen and VERY Slow everything.

Boot, Icon Bounce, Application Launch, Keyboard response… etc.

I was able to get to the Desktop and then I re-installed Yosemite. Dragging a window was laggy, and jerky…

On the third install of Yosemite things improved some, almost but not quite as fast as Mavericks … Some improvement but copy/writes remained very slow.

I now notice that some Applications such as “Clean My Mac” fail to launch and am still finding out if all are functional.

I have a home rolled Fusion Drive.

Currently I am considering a Clean Yosemite install and a TM restore.

Console and Activity Monitor report callservicesd and Chromehelper among others not responding…

I am on hold for the last ten minutes to Apple Support... They must be VERY busy today...

Oct 20, 2014 8:29 AM in response to geekraver

Got this too, also Mac Mini with fusion; have already successfully installed Yosemite on four other machines including an Air, so I'm thinking it's fusion that's the issue, not solid state.

The install initially appeared to be going fine, but then presented the error and a "restart" button. I hit the restart button, and it went straight back into install as has been reported by others. The time to "fail" was relatively short, about 5 minutes or so. The reload after the reboot took longer and actually completed. It's almost as though they should just make the restart part of the install, then we wouldn't be worried about this. It doesn't seem to be a significant error for factory-installed fusion drives. The install completed the second time, the computer is on Yosemite and apparently functioning fine.

Yosemite install fails: "not enough free space in the Core Storage Logical Volume Group for this operation"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.