Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my Gen 7 ipod nano keep pausing?

I've owned a Gen 7 iPod nano for a month now as a go-to MP3 player for work (we can't use our phones to listen to music due to cell phone abuse that's happened). Everything seemed fine until about 2-3 weeks ago I found that my music kept spontaneously pausing. Ok so I figured that maybe I hit the button on the side so I used the remote on my earbuds to continue playing. Another slight move and the thing pauses again. I quickly discovered that the slightest movement of the earbud jack triggers this thing to pause the music.

I then thought it was the headphones and perhaps the remote causing it to glitch. So I went and bought a cheap basic pair of earbuds (Sennheisers) without the remote only to find that the pausing is still going on. I've cleaned out the jack numerous times and it is still doing it. Any idea why this is happening? Seems like this is a known issue as I've seen that others ran into this. Why would Apple continue to let faulty product to be sold? For $140, I would have expected this to last longer, now thinking I should have stuck with a cheapo MP3 player from Walmart as it would have probably lasted longer 😟

Are there any fixes to this or should I retire this practically new 'pod (and get my hard-earned cash back) and move onto something better? I'm now kind of weary of buying Apple devices if this is the kind of performance I'm going to get from it.

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 9:52 PM

2 replies

Oct 18, 2014 12:43 PM in response to AngryGumball

Hello AngryGumball,

Try out the 5 R’s in the article below to continue your troubleshooting to get your iPod nano working again. If it does not, then check out the second part of the quoted section below to have your iPod nano looked at and possibly serviced.

iPod nano (7th generation): Hardware troubleshooting

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4433

The Five Rs: Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall, Restore

Remember these five basic suggestions if you have an issue with iPod nano. Try these steps one at a time until the issue is resolved. If one of the following doesn't help, read on for solutions to specific issues.

1. Reset iPod nano. First, make sure iPod nano is charged. Then press the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  2. Retry with a different USB port if you cannot see iPod nano in iTunes.
  3. Restart your computer and make sure that you have the latest software updates installed.
  4. Download and reinstall iTunes.
  5. Restore iPod nano.

Issue not resolved

If the issue is still not resolved, please read this information on servicing your iPod.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Oct 18, 2014 6:35 PM in response to norm123

I've actually tried restoring this and everything, it's definitely a hardware issue. If this isn't just an issue isolated to just me and if getting a new identical model possibly does the same thing, I may as well just get my money back rather than dealing with the headache. Shame, because I liked the Nano...but I need to realize that things aren't made like they used to and are now pretty much disposable.

Why does my Gen 7 ipod nano keep pausing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.