Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2011 Mac Mini and Handoff

Everything I've read indicates that the Mid 2011 Mac Mini should support handoff in Yosemite. It has LMP Version 0x6 and Bluetooth LE support (Go to Apple Menu --> About this Mac --> System Report --> Bluetooth), but nonetheless lists handoff support as "No." Anyone know what gives?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10), handoff bluetooth iOS

Posted on Oct 16, 2014 10:41 PM

26 replies

Oct 17, 2014 12:22 AM in response to darkslide29

Thanks for the response DarkSlide. I reviewed the article, but unless I'm missing something it doesn't mention the mac mini at all. It deals with continuity setup between iOS devices like iPhone iPad and iPod.

BTW, I do have continuity working on the mid 2011 mini -- I can receive iphone calls on my Mac. I just can't get handoff working. In fact, it does not even appear as an option in system preferences -> General.

thanks again for your reply.

Oct 17, 2014 5:42 AM in response to techesq

Under system requirements, you don't see the Mac mini 2011 mentioned at all because it no longer supports hand off. We all thought the requirement was simply Bluetooth 4.0 with the LMP version being 0x6. The Mac mini 2011 clearly has this. Yet Apple has made the 2012 models the earliest that can be used. This is a real shame since the hardware seems to be there. I am also trying to find out why Apple has put this limitation on the 2011 model.

Handoff uses Bluetooth. The other continuity stuff (phone calls and text messages) uses wifi, not Bluetooth, and is why you see it working fine.

edit. For some reason, my original link has been updated. When i click the link, half the time it has the computer requirements and half the time it does not. This is what I see on the support page:

System Requirements

Handoff and Instant Hotspot

Handoff and Instant Hotspot are supported by the following Mac models, and require OS X Yosemite:

• MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012 and later)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Handoff is supported by the following iOS devices and requires iOS 8. Instant Hotspot requires one of these iPhone or iPad devices with cellular connectivity and iOS 8.1. Instant Hotspot also requires Personal Hotspot service through your carrier.

• Phone 5 or later
  • iPhone 4s (sharing iPhone calls only)
  • iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad Air 2
  • iPad mini, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad mini 3
  • iPod touch (5th generation)

Connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac using Continuity

Oct 17, 2014 8:35 AM in response to darkslide29

DarkSlide -- I see it now, thanks. Must have been bleary eyed last night. That's really unfortunate if they don't support the mid-2011 mini -- It was purchased in the summer of 2012 before the late 2012s came out in October. It has all the correct hardware to support Handoff, so it really looks like an Apple ploy to get folks to upgrade. If so, I'm disappointed (but I shouldn't be surprised, I guess).

Looks like I'll have to start digging for a hack...

Oct 17, 2014 8:58 AM in response to techesq

There is a way to address this. I too have the problem on a Mac Mini Mid 2011 which should by all reason be able to work with continuity (handoff)

I found this on http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=20015070&postcount=609 which is a work around, however you must read all the instructions and be very careful. This is the work around fix. I should have loaded Yosemite Betas on the Mac Mini to test instead I was testing on my MBP and just kept the mini with Mavericks on.

I am unsure why Apple excluded the Mid 2011 Mac Mini and Air 2011, it may be because Beta testers generally use the latest machines or that the Mac Mini was too slow and perhaps unstable for purpose - I have no definitive answer and difficult to find one. I do suggest you show much caution, print the instructions, bookmark the link above and follow the instructions to the letter - no errors.

Oct 17, 2014 9:42 AM in response to BobW0904

The thing about the Mac mini 2011 is that it has the required hardware to run handoff, Bluetooth 4.0.

When you go to "about this Mac" and then your system profile, you'll be able to find out if your computer has the necessary hardware.

In post#1 you'll see that the LMP version is 0x6, and that it is low power Bluetooth. This means that it has what it needs for handoff. I do not believe the 2010 mini has the hardware necessary for it.

Depending on if it's an iMac or macbook etc, some 2011 models meet the specs and some 2012 models do. Instead of just supporting it, they decided to only support 2012 models and newer. I do not understand why they have chosen to go this route. I mean, I would like to believe it isn't just a ploy to upgrade when the hardware is already there.

Oct 17, 2014 9:47 AM in response to finelineagencies

Thanks for the link. Looks a bit scary but might give it a shot because I've never felt more annoyed by apple and i am as big of a fan boy as they come. I cannot comprehend why they would leave out the mac mini and MacBook Air 2011 versions other than a money grab to upgrade. For all the necessary hardware to be there, yet to instead just go with 2012+ for a non-existsnt reason is truly maddening.

If I am successful, do you know if this can be patched by apple. That is, if I upgrade Yosemite to 10.10.1 or whatever upgrades might come, is it a risk that it'll no longer work? I guess there's probably no way to know for sure but thought I would ask. Thanks Again.

Oct 17, 2014 10:43 AM in response to darkslide29

Yes if you do update to a higher version the patch will be gone, I suggest you make a backup of the file as indicated on the link. I suggest you read the content of the whole link and comments. I see it is easy to mess up and get wrong. The person that wrote the tutorial also messed up and rewrote the tutorial. Read the whole thing, you will be aware of common mistakes - try and avoid them.

Let me know if you are working.🙂

Mid 2011 Mac Mini and Handoff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.