Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Post Yosemite : Airdrop not working on Late 2011

Updated to Yosemite and airdrop is not working on my Mac Pro Late 2011. I cannot see my iPhone 5s, nor anyone else in the office with Airdrop enabled on their Macs and/or iPhones. They cannot see my Macbook either. We are all connected to the same Airport Extreme via Wifi.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Macbook Pro Late 2011

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 4:03 AM

"Legacy" AirDrop is apparently no longer supported (using Wi-Fi only). The new AirDrop requires Bluetooth 4.0, which is not available on older Macs (like my Late 2011 MBP).

The workaround is to enable File Sharing on one of the macs, and log in to it from the other.

10 replies

Oct 17, 2014 5:15 AM in response to Parasyte

Seems like you've got something here....

I can still Airdrop to those Mac's running Mavericks, but those that updated to Yosemite and now run over a BT4.0/Wi-Fi hybrid are no longer able to discover me and vice versa. Apple should have really made this backwards compatible for those with BT4.0 chipsets.

Seems like I'll just have to dust off the old flash drivers....

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2014 2:45 AM in response to billy_za

So although not immediately apparent, my airdrop still works, just not to newer Macs and iOS devices with Bluetooth 4.0 capability and default settings.

On newer Macs you can, like William pointed out, switch to legacy Airdrop to enable newer Macs to communicate with older Macs (like mine) via Airdrop.

It would have been nice if Yosemite included some sort of auto switching to make this process more user friendly, but at least now we know it is possible.

Setting on newer generation Macs to switch to Legacy Airdrop shown in image below:

User uploaded file

Nov 5, 2014 9:00 AM in response to billy_za

I don't see any option to turn Legacy on, or any setting for airdrop at all.
Have a MBP 5.1 (late 2008) as beta machine with OS 10.10.1 (the beta seed of the update, didnt work before neither) and a 10.1 (mid 2012) with 10.9.5.

Transfer goes neither way, both appear, but when drag and drop, both say "waiting" and then "failed".

My conclusion:

Apple forces, like Microsoft, over incompatibility to buy new machines. Difference between windows and mac was that mac didn't force you to buy the newest product. I was proud of that, as a mac user for 18 years, and made me identify with the brand.
Because of two reasons:
a) IN THIRD WORLD we use have to use old stuff, hardware and software have still prices of first world, so what is cheap there is f... unavailable here!!!! IT ISN'T THE SAME ON THE WHOLE WORLD. Now Apple got also into the des-democratization of access to technology, magnifying the gap, what a pity (is somebody of Microsoft infiltrated to make it loose their public?). On the long term, I will have to use only Linux (right now the beta-machine has a parallel Ubuntu)
b) Macs were working machines. Now they are chatting machines. I can't afford a tablet, but if I would like iOs-funcionality, I would buy one instead of a MBP. And if, an Android, it is cheaper and I don't need as much quality when it isn't about work....
Sorry, off-topic.

Nov 15, 2014 2:53 PM in response to Spencer Lewis

Summary: You don't need to replace the $80 bluetooth card in your computer. You can use a cheap USB dongle instead!

I wanted to use the Knock to Unlock app with my late '11 MBP 15" so I could tap my iPhone to unlock my Mac's screen, so I bought a USB bluetooth 4.0/BLE donglefor under $15 at a major online retailer (I don't see any bluetooth 4.1 dongles available and don't think it's a big deal since 4.1 is so new).

To use the dongle, plug it in and follow these directions. tl;dr: download the "Hardware IO Tools for Xcode" bundle, which requires free registration to access. Get the bundle here by searching for "bluetooth" on the downloads page. Install the "Bluetooth Explorer" app by dragging it to your applications folder and run it. Hit ⌘-k or select Tools>"HCI Controller Selector" from the menubar. Change the option to the listing that isn't Apple (often the name is Broadcom, a major bluetooth chipset designer) then hit the "Activate" button and you're done! Anytime you remove the dongle and reinsert it you will need to activate it again.

I expect this will also work just fine for AirDrop since you're setting the dongle as the the system bluetooth device.

Enjoy living the future again! 🙂

P.S. Did you know our machine unofficially supports up to 16GB of RAM (double the 8GB in the specs)?!

Jan 11, 2015 8:26 PM in response to bubbawubba

Thanks bubbawubba!! I also have a 15" late 2011 MacBook Pro. I wanted to be able to transfer files to and from my iPhone 6, so I started scouting eBay for a newer machine at a cheaper price (but you know how that goes...). It was either that or spend a few hundred on an SSD (because that was another reason I needed to upgrade). Your post just made my day! Time to get a dongle. I love saying the word "dongle". 🙂 And I might just upgrade the RAM too, now that you mention it (using 8 GB now).

Feb 7, 2015 4:56 PM in response to bubbawubba

Hmm, it seems that the USB dongle does not work with AirDrop. I can definitely see my iPhone on my MBP via bluetooth and vice versa, but I cannot connect to the network. Instead, I keep getting this error notification: "Network is unavailable. Make sure network access is enabled"

User uploaded file

I went into the file sharing settings and tried a few things, but it still didn't work. The Knock to Unlock app works just fine (and I enjoy using it), but of course that app doesn't involve sharing files over a network. It says it uses "low energy" bluetooth, which I assume is different from normal bluetooth usage.

I found this thread on MacRumors that talks about installing a bluetooth card for handoff purposes: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1747240

The correct card is BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX. I'm going to look into getting one of these, and I'll probably return my dongle so I can free up a USB port.

Any other thoughts?

Post Yosemite : Airdrop not working on Late 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.