Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Target Display Mode (TDM) be supported on the new iMac Retina 5K?

Following yesterday's announcement of the iMac with retina display, I was wondering if this new machine will support TDM so that I can use it as a display for another machine.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Retina display

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2014 2:45 PM

Hello ahvetm,

Target Display Mode is not supported on the new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014). Check out the article below or quoted section below for more information.

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Target Display mode Requirements:

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection
  • A Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.
iMac Model Cable Supported Port on Source Computer
iMac (27-inch Late 2009) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode.

Regards,

-Norm G.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2014 2:45 PM in response to ahvetm

Hello ahvetm,

Target Display Mode is not supported on the new iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014). Check out the article below or quoted section below for more information.

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Target Display mode Requirements:

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection
  • A Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.
iMac Model Cable Supported Port on Source Computer
iMac (27-inch Late 2009) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (27-inch Mid 2010) Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2011) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
iMac (Mid 2012) Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt Thunderbolt
Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode.

Regards,

-Norm G.

Oct 23, 2014 6:03 AM in response to BigMat_01

It's a bit of a deal-breaker for me as well.

I know it's probably because they can't carry the bandwidth through a single Thunderbolt2 port, so there are some big design considerations to take into account before a work-around could be made, but that doesn't change the fact that I was postponing my purchase of an iMac until this one came out only to be disappointed about my options for hooking up my gaming pc to the screen.

Oct 27, 2014 8:14 PM in response to ahvetm

I only found out about this after I had ordered my iMac, I don't often get disappointed by Apple's products but this change is a show stopper. What were Apple thinking? Why couldn't they just scale up the output over the thunderbolt cable even if it was only at HD resolution, it would have been better than disabling the feature altogether. You buy Macs, iPads and iPhones for the compatible ecosystem and now they've put a big hole in it.

Oct 28, 2014 11:40 AM in response to dimitrizetzsche

ditto! it took me a long time to figure out what i was doing wrong, kept trying to troubleshoot it, because i couldn't imagine that TDM support would be missing.

what the heck, Apple? are you serious? this was a major reason i bought this sucker. btw i bought a fully loaded iMac too, a $4000 package.

hey Tim, you know why people like me pay top dollar, without double-checking features and reviews, for Apple products?

because we expect them to Just Work!

fix this.

Will Target Display Mode (TDM) be supported on the new iMac Retina 5K?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.