Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing option shows “no service” (Yosemite)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 1:37 AM

18 replies

Oct 18, 2014 7:34 AM in response to JupiterIslander

OK, guys. Looks like I've found something. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. Backup your data first as the following might damage your files.

Step 1.

Create another admin account on your mac. Log into it. Check if you have all the missing extensions/services available.

Step 2.

Follow this tutorial:

OS X: How to change your account name or home directory name

Step 3.

When you've switched the accounts, your mac will prompt you to restart. Restart. Log into the new account you've created in Step 1. Mac will ask you to repair Library. Click OK. Check if the extensions/services are running. Some of the folders/applications might not be accessible at this point. Don't worry.

Step 4.

Now switch usernames and home directories back to where they were in step 1. Be very careful to match everything correctly. Mac will prompt to restart and/or repair library. Agree to both/all.

After the restart everything should be working as it's supposed to.

Step 5 (optional).

Delete 2nd admin account if no longer needed.

In case there's something wrong just reboot again.

Oct 18, 2014 8:37 AM in response to JupiterIslander

Actually I found other features (seem to me also user admin rights depended) that are not working.

It seems that all your “rights” have not been transferred to your admin account when upgraded to Yosemite.

With my admin account I can’t even change the login options ! They are greyed.

I’m planning a visit at the genius bar and will see. Or will wait for an update from Apple I guess.

Oct 18, 2014 9:05 AM in response to Triathlete_be

So...as a quick update. To reset permissions which our issues are related to.

Restart, press command + R to boot into recovery. From the menubar on top choose Utilities -> Terminal.

In Terminal window type resetpassword . Press Enter.

A Reset Password window will appear.

Select your primary drive. Select your username from Select the user account box.

Type new password.

On the bottom of the window it says Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click Reset button.

Click -> Restart from the menubar.

Oct 22, 2014 12:59 AM in response to Triathlete_be

To Restore Share Options

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Terminal > Copy and paste in the following:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchS ervices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed

> Press Return > Close Terminal App.

Hope that helps,

Weston

Supporting Article

If sharing options and Markup are missing after you install OS X Yosemite

Sharing option shows “no service” (Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.