Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud items in preference pane greyed out in Yosemite

As a lot of people I have upgraded to Yosemite and almost everything seems to work.
However, I seem to have some problems related to iCloud. In the iCloud preferences pane all of the items such as iCloud Drive, Mail, Address Book and so on are greyed out. There's this tiny litte button on top which I can click and submit my iCloud password but it does not get the items to become clickable/whatever.

Is this a bug? According to this page https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ everything seems to be working ay-okey...

Please advice.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 2:15 AM

28 replies

Oct 18, 2014 2:16 AM in response to Rudestroem

I finally got iCloud to work!

Just to test I created a new user account with admin privileges, logged in and setup iCloud with my Apple-ID. I was not expecting it to work... But the preferences are not longer greyed out, also iCloud Drive now work like a charm.
So what I did next was to backup all of my important files on the other account (in which iCloud did not work) and then migrated them to the new user account and then ditched the old user account.

It appears something went terribly wrong when updating from Mavericks to Yosemite.

Aaaaay macarena!

Oct 21, 2014 5:19 PM in response to Rudestroem

same problem here on 1 of my 3 machines. Other 2 show the iCloud preference pane as expected, but 1 machine shows all items greyed out and every time I open mail I'm warned about a problem with my iCloud acount and need to give a password again. Most iCloud services on the machine work, but slower, but I cannot access account details from the preference pane. Will try your solution if the first 10.10 update doesn't fix it.

thanks for posting your fix

Oct 21, 2014 8:43 PM in response to SuperMarioBros

For what it's worth, I eventually gave up on expecting a solution to this problem and instead did what Rudestroem did. From an Admin account, I deleted each of the affected accounts from the User Profiles section in System Preferences (using the 'Keep home folder' option), then re-created each account with the same original user profile name. I then copied all contents of the 'User (deleted)' home folder into the new home folder. At this point I could login to my 'new' account and access my documents, downloads, etc., and as expected the iCloud preferences were now working fine. The final step was to delete the 'old' user home folder and begin the laborious task of redoing all my account settings.

Repeat for each affected iCloud user on the Mac. The whole process took considerable time, but the end result is that all accounts are working great. Bummer about this, although it doesn't seem to be affecting too many folks.

Nov 30, 2014 9:30 AM in response to kevgop

I encountered the same problems. The iCould System Prefs App would not let me sign out or sign-in. All the iCloud options were greyed out. I finally got it resolved without creating a new user account. I figured it was a home folder permissions issue, after much poking around in the ~/Library folder. I had to reset the permissions on the home folder and enclosing folders using Finder.

Here's what I did:

1. Open Finder and select the home folder icon in the sidebar on the left

User uploaded file

2. Press Command+I to bring up the Info window. Scroll down to the "Sharing and Permissions" section. Click on the Lock/Unlock button in the bottom right hand corner of the window, and enter the admin password to enable changes to be made.

3. Click on the "gear" button and click on the "Apply to enclosed items..."

User uploaded file

This will set the permissions on the home folder and its subfolders. After this the iCloud preferences pane allowed me to make changes and save it. Also fixed the iCould Drive issue that I had.

Hope this helps someone out there.

iCloud items in preference pane greyed out in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.