Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iCloud Drive backup to Time Machine?

Now I have downloaded OS X Yosemite I would like to move my data from Dropbox to iCloud Drive. But first I would like to know, whether the data there is secured to Time Machine also!

I can easily restore a file that I deleted from the dropbox-Folder by going to my Time Machine backups. It is very important to me to be able to do this since there are very important documents.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:57 AM

7 replies

Oct 17, 2014 12:18 PM in response to f.marcel

After doing some testing it seems like those folders that you create yourself are backep up. The preinstalled folder "Pages" etc. are not visible in the backup. Restoring something that was deleted works from those own folders, but I could only restore it to a different place, not back to where it was.

After that I can copy it to iCloud Drive again.

It doesn't seem quite intuitive or sensible.

Oct 23, 2014 12:11 AM in response to léonie

I too can see the files in predefined folders if I open them before entering time machine, but TM doesn't show any previous versions of the files.

Even if I make a deliberate change to a file that was 'backed up' 10 mins ago, it doesn't show up in TM.

The history back/forward buttons are disabled and the only button that works is cancel.

Edit:

However, if I open same document (a TextEdit doc) and choose Browse All Versions, I do get the mini time machine showing old versions.

😟 because yet again, Apple give us confusing, half-thought out services.

Nov 11, 2014 2:28 PM in response to f.marcel

If I understand you correctly, folders dragged in from Dropbox are backed up;

Pre-defined folders for specific apps dont seem to be?

Has anyone tried other predefined app folders, such as Preview (OS X only)?

In some ways this makes sense, in that pages etc. already maintain a version history, so Time Machine would be duplicating that functionality.

However, what if you accidentally delete a document? Does Time Machine store the last known version?

What worries me is if you restore many files back to an earlier date.

What happens with version conflicts and iCloud? Does it overwrite, or prompt every single file?

Does iCloud Drive backup to Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.