Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bring back the Sidebar in iTunes 12

I have used iTunes since version 1 in 2001. And for 13 years we have had a sidebar that allows us direct access to our device and all our media. As the list of types of media grew we had them all at our fingertips with the sidebar. Now on version 11 by default the sidebar was gone but you could turn it on and get the same user experience you knew back.

In version 12 it is gone... When you click on playlists that sidebar is not comprehensive it is only a limited view of your playlists. We need the full one back that we have had for 13 years. You build up a user experience for 13 years and then you just abandon it because you want to do things different? And not better just different...

Microsoft tried that type of different with the start menu on Windows 8. Hopefully apple will learn from the user community like Microsoft did with the start menu. We like our sidebar so please bring it back as an option like it was in version 11. You can have your new method, just allow us to enjoy the old method as well.

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2014 5:25 AM

Agree, 100%. Bring it back. Even better, go back to iTunes 6 which was the last decent one.

47 replies

Oct 17, 2014 7:26 AM in response to p10000

It's not a stupid change. I like it. There's more room for my playlists now, while I still can switch to other parts, like movies, apps, devices with only one click. So you're "mousing around" just as much as you did in iTunes 11. The icons only moved from a sidebar to a topbar. Big deal.

If change for the better is found to be "stupid", just because in thirteen years we got used to some old ways, mankind would still be hunting mammals with weapons of stone with that attitude😉.

Oct 17, 2014 11:58 AM in response to Joe_Dawson

Many people don't understand... some do...

I am not suggesting that the new way is really bad... I am sure SOME people will like it... But no good reason exists to not allow both methods to work. Giving users the option of the old style takes nothing away from the new one but would have allowed users who have 13 years of experience invested into iTunes to continue to use it the application the way they always have.

Nothing was wrong removing camera roll you could access your images another way. But no reason existed to not allow people to still use Camera Roll as well and for that reason it will come back Monday with iOS 8.1. The start menu will also come back in Microsoft Windows 10... Many people liked the old one spot for all options that existed in the old iTunes and we would like it to return as an option please.

If you really improve the interface at some point no one will use the option. But for now many of us still use the old way and would like it back please.

Bring back the Sidebar in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.